ink drops on prints, streaks on back of print

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
My ip5000 printer started making black ink streaks on the back of prints yesterday. In addition, a few prints came out with small drops of ink on the face of the prints - about 1.5 to 2 mm. in diameter. I was printing a run of sixty invitations with a graphic that was nearly full coverage of 5x7's. The paper was Red River 68# ultraPro Satin. Because I had small smudges on the tail end of the first print I cleaned the bottom plate with the driver maintenance and set the printer to "avoid paper abraison". The prints were otherwise perfect, and the nozzle check was perfect. I removed the carts, one-by-one, and there wes no ink around the intake screens to indicate a leaking cart. I completed the print run on my pro9000MkII with no problems.

Anyone have experience with this problem? I had thought to remove the printhead and lightly clean the bottom of the nozzle plate but didn't have time. Even with some ink on the bottom plate this wouldn't account for the fewe drops of ink on an otherwise perfect print. Also the light streaks of ink on the back side of the print were a problem.

when I have time I'll remove the printhead, clean the bottom plate, clean the inside of the printer whre the underside of the paper woud touch, and run enough paper through the printer to clean the ink that is getting onto the backside as well.

I guess it could be possible that this printer can't accomodate the heavier paper that I was using. I'll run some prints on the Costco Kirkland paper to see it that might be the problem and just use the Pro9000MkII for heavier weight paper.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Anytime that I d had that problem its usually down to the curl in the edge of the paper and like you
I used the Prevent Paper Abrasion setting and the problem went away.

You could try giving the parking pad, the plastic wiper and the general area around there a bit of a cleanup;
it can become very grubby and messy in there from time to time and that might eliminate the small drops of ink also.

It wouldnt do any harm to take out the platen sponge and clean underneath it
and give it a bit of a wash before putting it back in again..