Ink compatibility and ARC questions

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma iP8750; Pixma MG6650
I'm currently running an MG5300 that's on the blink. I've changed the head once and it's failed again so I'm thinking of cutting my losses and changing it for a more recent model.

I use a PRO9000 mkII for photos and the MG5300 for documents and as a spare when the PRO9000 is out of action. I've been happily refilling cartridges in both for over a year.

My proposal is:
My questions are:
  1. As colour quality is not paramount, can I use my existing stock of bulk inks in the refillable carts? (The dye inks I have are all the same i.e. used in both the 525/526 carts in the MG5300 and the CLI-8 carts in my PRO9000)
  2. Is there a 550-551 resetter available?
  3. If not, what does Auto Reset Chip actually mean in practice when refilling?
Any help keeping my costs down would be gratefully received!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The MG6650 with refillable cartridges is as good as it gets, because the original cartridges that comes with that printer are not great to refill.

The chips on these OEM 551 cartridges cannot be reset so there won’t be a resetter made for them ever, and you’ll have to rely on the use of ARC chips.

The current inks that you use in your MG5300 and Pro 9000 will work just as well in the 551 MG6650 machine, there is a slight colour difference but nothing that should worry you at all.

When you get your compatible cartridges they come with ARC chips fitted, and the (ARC) stands for Automatic Reset Chip so you’ll still have on screen ink monitoring available to you.

But remember you’ll need to refill your cartridge when the low ink warning shows up, don’t wait till the cartridge becomes empty.

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thank you very much for your reply. Very helpful.

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
The MG6650 with refillable cartridges is as good as it gets.

The refillable carts have arrived but without instructions. Each cart has 2 plugs - a plain one in the reservoir (for refilling) and a coloured one (coded to match the ink colour) above the sponge. Should the coloured plug only be used when storing filled carts (the equivalent of tape on an OEM cart)? Put another way, should it be removed during filling and when the cart is installed in the printer to facilitate air flow?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It sounds strange with the two plugs. Where did you buy the cartridges from? Could you post a link to the cartridges? A scan or photo of one of the cartridges might also be useful for figuring out how to use the cartridges.

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I see, the cartridges are these, from Octoinkjet:

Refillable 550-551.jpg

I think you are right:
The refillable carts have arrived but without instructions. Each cart has 2 plugs - a plain one in the reservoir (for refilling) and a coloured one (coded to match the ink colour) above the sponge. Should the coloured plug only be used when storing filled carts (the equivalent of tape on an OEM cart)? Put another way, should it be removed during filling and when the cart is installed in the printer to facilitate air flow?

If these cartridges are similar in design to Canon cartridges, then this thread about topfilling also applies to them. Specially note the post #4 by mikling. Instead of using your thumb, tape or Blu-Tac to seal the vent, the coloured plug can be used. After finishing the refill and sealing fill hole with the transparent plug, the coloured plug should be removed before removing the cartridge from the storage clip and installing it in the printer. Verify that the cartridge is not leaking before installing it.

I'm almost sure this is correct, but a scan or close up photo of the cartridge could help confirm this.

I searched the site but found no instructions for the cartridges. You could contact Octoinkjet using this support form and ask about proper refill procedure.

@websnail Are my assumptions about the cartridges correct? I think an instruction is needed. Your comments please.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
To use these carts in your printer you have to remove the second colour plug to allow air into the cart, that’s how I use them.. :)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Pretty sure the White plug is the direct vent for the sponge side. Unlike the serpentine vent that OEM carts would have.
Joe

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pretty sure the White plug is the direct vent for the sponge side. Unlike the serpentine vent that OEM carts would have.
Joe
Thanks, Joe, but this is incorrect (for these carts, at least). The white plug is in the fill hole and the coloured plug is in the vent hole.

I contacted Octoinkjet, as suggested by PeterBJ, and got the following response:

1. The vent plug is the one that sits over the sponge part of the cartridge. The fill hole/plug is the one that sits over the void/sponge-less compartment.

2. So you need to remove the vent plug before installing in the printer and the fill plug should only be removed with the orange clip attached (to the exit port) so you can refill. Obviously this plug needs to be replaced before the cartridge clip is removed and installed in the printer.

I can confirm that following this approach works a treat (not surprisingly!).

Thanks for all your replies and help.
Andy