ink absorber almost full

jayperskie

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma ip 4700 & ip4820
I got an 8 blink error 1700 saying that the absorber is near full on a ip 4820. How does one fix it?
Thanxxx Jay

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The absorber counter can be reset so you can continue printing. After resetting the counter the absorbers should be replaced or cleaned and reinstalled to avoid the risk of an ink overflow.

A simplified service manual which is found here has some info about disassembling the printer and instructions for resetting the absorber counter using a service tool. You also need a service tool for the reset. This post has instructions for download. I just tested the download and it still worked. AVG Internet Security found nothing wrong in the downloads.

I think the iP4800 series printer is so similar to the iP4600/4700 series printers that this druckerchannel.de instruction for absorber change also applies to your printer. If you don't read German this Google translation might be helpful.

Even if your printer might be wireless, the service tool only works with a USB connection and only with Windows XP or newer, 32 or 64 bit. Linux and MacOS cannot be used.

Last edited: