In praise of the Canon Pixma Pro 10

dadu007

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2400
I haven't posted much here, but I just wanted to say that newer technology definitely CAN be better!
I had an Epson R2400 which produced stunning prints (to this hobbyist's eye), but I didn't print enough to prevent it from getting clogged ALL THE TIME...I even had it on a weekly maintenance print cycle using Qimage. Still not enough. Wish I had all those $$ back on wasted ink and ink cartridges!
Anyhoo, I started watching this forum and spotted the closeout price on the Pixma Pro 10...two years ago?!
Ordered one and it sat in the box until this early summer when I finally set it up (after finally junking the R2400). Out of the box the prints were fantastic!
Then summer projects took over and I only just got back to it. I was so fearing clogged heads/jets (or whatever this thing uses), but NOPE, I turned it on, it shook for several minutes, and the first print I sent through last night looks fantastic. :)
I'm sure it's costing me more letting it sit off and idle for big chunks of time, but so far it has been a pleasure to use this printer. Here's hoping I didn't just jinx myself!
Thanks to everyone who posts here regularly with such valuable and useful information!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Then summer projects took over and I only just got back to it. I was so fearing clogged heads/jets (or whatever this thing uses), but NOPE, I turned it on, it shook for several minutes, and the first print I sent through last night looks fantastic.
It’s lovely to hear from someone that still gets a huge kick out of the quality and reliability of the Pro 10… I got two of its older sisters and wouldn’t be without them.. I only use them every 3 months..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Another satisfied owner of a Pro10s here..
I'm not so daring as you gents. leaving these ladies unattended for months, After an initial hiccup with clogs in the magenta channel, I awake the printer at least once a week, sometimes to print only a nozzle check.
There's also a spare printhead stored in a drawer, just in case. You never know when they will be discontinued. Years of experience with Canon printers taught me to live with caution.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
There's also a spare printhead stored in a drawer, just in case. You never know when they will be discontinued. Years of experience with Canon printers taught me to live with caution.
Future proofing yourself from redundancy is a very prudent idea…:thumbsup
I have done that myself in the past but because I don’t print much anymore, I’ve started giving my spare print heads away.. ;)

dadu007

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2400
LOL. Now I'm a little nervous and I think I should acquire a backup printhead for the Pro 10.
Do you have a link to reputable seller for a printhead? What would be a reasonable price for a replacement?
Thx!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
You’ll only need a standby print head to be future proof, because it won’t be long before Canon stops making them available, the average head lasts about 4 years, and the best place to get one is Canon.com US…

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Murphy's camera currently has the Pro-10 for 199 USD after one rebate from Canon. You will need to phone in and have someone take the order to get the price to $199 as a "walk in" purchase because the real price cannot be published by them.
IMO for the person who needs long lasting prints, this is the real deal. Sometimes it falls to $99USD there, just need to keep your eyes open and check in with them. It is as if they are forced to "dish" them out for a "reason". But it's a bargain at those prices.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
You’ll only need a standby print head to be future proof, because it won’t be long before Canon stops making them available, the average head lasts about 4 years, and the best place to get one is Canon.com US…

First of all, the PRO-10 is still in production, and on average Canon has spares for 5 years after end of production.
I still print with 9500's and in fact never bought a new printhead (until last year) so I can't measure, but they live at least 2 years (and much longer afterwards with some failing colours).
Since I have one new 9500 II printhead in stock, unfortunatily I can't switch to the Pro-10 yet :(.
Except for the heads, these printers are undestructable.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
on average Canon has spares for 5 years after end of production
Is that a European thing? I am not aware this is the same in the USA. Been told years ago by Canon Tech Support, or maybe it was Sales, that manufacture of printer parts ends approximately 5 years from the introduction of that printer.

Since the Pro model printers may be manufactured for longer periods of time than their PIXMA printers, I reckon it sensible of Canon to continue parts production longer than the 5 year time frame.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I think that @palombian is a bit optimistic in this matter. When Canon decides to discontinue a printhead, all the stock from reputed dealers disappears fast, be it in Europe or America. We don’t know either if Pro10s are still currently in production. Maybe they’re already manufacturing new models that will replace the Pro10s/Pro100 in no time.

One factor plays in favor of the users, though, Home printing is a shrinking market. Releasing totally new Pro printers with different printheads/inksets requires considerable investment in R&D. Canon may be reluctant to spend that amount of money if predicted sales are meager. Possibly they will release slightly modified versions of the current models with “improved firmware” (meaning refill proof :rant ).

Call me an overcautious paranoiac, if you like, but better be safe than sorry. :D

Latest posts