In praise of the Canon Pixma Pro 10

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I think that @palombian is a bit optimistic in this matter. When Canon decides to discontinue a printhead, all the stock from reputed dealers disappears fast, be it in Europe or America. We don’t know either if Pro10s are still currently in production. Maybe they’re already manufacturing new models that will replace the Pro10s/Pro100 in no time.

One factor plays in favor of the users, though, Home printing is a shrinking market. Releasing totally new Pro printers with different printheads/inksets requires considerable investment in R&D. Canon may be reluctant to spend that amount of money if predicted sales are meager. Possibly they will release slightly modified versions of the current models with “improved firmware” (meaning refill proof :rant ).

Call me an overcautious paranoiac, if you like, but better be safe than sorry. :D

PRO-9500II printheads were available until last summer, years after the printer was discontinued.
But maybe Canon produced less for the PRO-10(S), who knows.

There have been a lot of 9500's sold in Europe, but much less PRO-10's, based on the offers on second hand sites.
Shipping costs from the States are prohibitive.
I could stock printheads now that they are available at reasonable prices.
A new PRO-10S is € 600 with a new printhead and ink cartridges. Can't pay more than € 250 for a second hand.