ICC profiles for Canon Pixma Pro 100s for non-pro software

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
Hi all,

I've been having problems getting the output of my Canon Pixma Pro 100s to match what's on my monitor (which has been calibrated so it's not that). I've found a UK based company that will make a custom ICC profile based on a print out that you send them. However the design software I tend to use is Inkscape, which I don't think has colour management options that are anything like as advanced as Photoshop + similar.

I also design vinyl stickers, print them and cut them on a vinyl sticker cutter. The software for this (Sure Cuts a Lot by Craft Edge) definitely doesn't have anything like advanced options for colour management, it just prints through the driver.

My question therefore is: can I use the driver for the Canon Pro 100s to colour manage the prints using a custom ICC profile? I have found something that looks promising in the Canon driver software: going to Main > Color/Intensity to Manual then Set > Matching > ICM...this looks like it allows you to select ICC profiles from a list rather than having to go through specific software.

Further question: does anyone else use Inkscape and am I right in thinking it doesn't really have colour management? I can't seem to find it if it does, and if you use it how do you get around the lack of management options?

TIA :)

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I will have a look, it might be of help!

I also found this, which is why I thought you can apply ICC profile via the driver, which I gather is something quite unusual for most printers:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I don't know if all Canon printers can do this but I could 10 years ago with my MP830.

Does Jose tell you how to install the ICC printer profile in Windows or just how to select it for use in the Canon driver?

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
Hi I think it's just via the Canon driver. If I'm understanding it correctly, the driver will apply the profile when printing....so I'm not sure if it's also necessary to switch of colour management in the software you're using. I assume it is and that it'd be a good idea in the driver options to also "disable the color profile setting of the application software" in the Page Setup > Print Options settings

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
so I'm not sure if it's also necessary to switch of colour management in the software you're using
You do not want to "Double Profile" meaning both the printer profile and the profile in the application (eg Photoshop) are used simultaneously causing all kinds of problems in the print.

So, if you are using a custom ICC profile in the Canon Driver then you do not want an ICC profile selected in the application -- ie turn color management off in the app.

Do you have an answer to my question in the previous post?

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
In the video he only tells you how to use an ICC profile from within the Canon driver, he doesn't tell you how to install it within Windows.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
In the video he only tells you how to use an ICC profile from within the Canon driver, he doesn't tell you how to install it within Windows.
ICC profiles are installed in the correct directory (C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color) by just clicking on them.

What Jose explains is another way to arrive at the same as selecting the profile within your application, but if the latter doesn't have this possibility it is very handy (think about printing from your phone).

And it helps to understand how things work ;).

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
Ah okay thanks. Yes I have a few applications that aren't as "high-end" as P.S. etc so there's not really any color management options, for instance in the vinyl cutter software I have there's no way to select ICC profiles or anything like that, so being able to select it from the driver at least gives me the option to use it.

"And it helps to understand how things work."

Aha yes no kidding! However I didn't even know what an ICC profile was yesterday so I'm slowly making progress. :D