i9900/pro9000 print head mysterious clogging

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
That's what I thought, only one of the heads (the original one from i9900) was suffering from the symptom even after I let it sit for almost 2 weeks. Now I'm guessing if there's some foreign contamination inside of the ink pipe?

I almost want to just print a good 30 pages of something and see if the tire mark is still there.

Or, maybe the light color is just water residue?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
262144 said:
mebguy, thanks for the input, but I'm sure the purge system works fine.
How do you know the purge system is working? It really sounds to me like this is your problem. Try flooding both purge pads with Windex, wait five minutes and see if the pads are still flooded, then do a cleaning cycle and see if all the Windex has disappeared. If this doesn't happen, then you have a problem with the purge system. If the Windex disappears before doing a cleaning cycle, you have a leak (maybe a detached tube) in the tubing. If the Windex doesn't disappear after doing a cleaning cycle, you have a clogged tube.

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just done putting the printer back together, and yes the purge system is in excellent condition. Fluid doesn't stay on the purging pads, pipes are clean and clear, bottom absorption pads are clean and dry. Replaced inks and did deep head cleaning for 5 times, and ink level are down. Sadly, tire marks are still there.

I am a bit afraid of Windex now, there are a bunch of occasions I accidentally sprayed them on my face, and it not only stinks of pee, it also burns! Besides, I have a bad feeling of Windex has some gel-like ingredient in it, or it makes a lot of small bubbles when heated by the heating element? Pure speculations here.

Also, does anyone know if these inks are poisonous? I think I accidentally ingested quite a bit of it this morning. I soak my print heads in different cups, and this morning I accidentally picked one up, mistaken it with my drinking water cup. I even shake the cup a bit and heard sound (I had ice in my water, apparently print head sounds just like ice) so I took a large gulp before I saw the water is BLACK!

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Well, I have a similar problem with a friend's ip5300. The Windex stays pooled on the black section of the purge unit. After a number of cleanings, the Windex on the unit has NOT gone down into the purge unit but stays pooled on the top.

After 2 days of this, I can not see at all with a flashlight how to get at the tube. If I continue this cleaning cycle/add Windex a few times per day. will this eventually work WITHOUT getting to the purge tubes?

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Probably not if your purge tubes are clogged. Just take the thing apart and wash the ink absorption pad as well as the purge unit, including the tubes. I once had ip4200 with stuck purging unit, did everything and didn't help.

And I'm guessing the clog was caused by the pigment ink, after a while pigment ink became half solid gooey thing, can stuck almost anything.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Not being the handiest of guys, I hesitate to take it apart. If anyone knows where to find clear directions, Please inform me. I'd pay for a repair manual, if anyone has one.

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It's pretty easy, I mean most of the Canons are very easy to take apart, normally involves a couple of screws and a bunch of plastic snappers, look all over the printer and you should see them. I wish I can help you more but I don't have ip4500.

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Still the tire marks are still showing up...

muzicman82

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
In my experience with Canon printheads (I've gone through a lot, and have had 4 or 5 different models), as soon as banding gets to the point where you can't stop banding with a good Windex soaking or air pressure cleaning, the head is toast.

Something about them gets so clogged that nothing can clean it out... I've taken a few apart myself and have had minimal luck in doing so. It ends up being a waste of time. Perhaps the electronics of the nozzles become shot.

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just got back from a week-long road trip, some of the heads have been in the printers, while others are still soaked. Will report the conditions of the heads as soon as I test them out.