i865 ink cartridges: BCI 3e or BCI 6

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It would seem to me that the colors of a FOUR COLOR printer would differ in many repects from a printer designed to use SIX COLORS, specifically in the formulation of CYAN/PHOTO CYAN and MAGENTA/PHOTO MAGENTA and that the cyan and magenta carts are NOT interchagable, although the yellow would be.

Printers that use TWO DIFFERENT BLACKS, will NOT be interchangable with a cart from a printer using ONE BLACK, for the same reason. Unless the 860 is using TWO blacks, a single black should be dye based.

I don't see any reason to buy Canon carts anyway, so this seems a mute point about being ripped off. Manufacturers ink are a GIVEN rip off /overpriced to begin with.

Go with Inkgrabber (or another brand you've proved works well), or refill with MIS, Computer Friends, or other proven good ink.

Neil

Pigment ink is prone to create problems, and I don't see any real reason to use, unless selling archivable prints- and then, you have no choice but to deal with printer dilemmas.

Neil Slade
www.NeilSlade.com

Craig Ross

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I may have to recant on my previous post about bci-3 magenta being a darker ink than bci-6
I just noticed my canon i865 uses the pigment 3-e black the 6 series dye black but the
6 series magenta cyan and yellow so I,m left wondering how this essentialy 4 colour printer
produces a darker colour shade perhaps it mixes with the 6 series black as its test page
shows this as a grey and the 3-e black as black

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I own a Canon S600, it uses a bci-3bk, bci-3m, bci3y and a bci3c. These cartridges wer originally for the BJC-6000 printer, it was used for a lot of the newer Canon printers. If you purchase inks from MIS (www.inksupply.com) the stock numbers for bulk inks to refill BCI-3 cartridges and BCI-6 cartridges is different. I don't know if there is really any shade differences or their stock number is different.

The BCI-3 cartridges are available in pc, pm, y, c, bk, k, and m. the bk is pigmented black and the k is photo black(dye based).