i865 - Configuration problem with network printing

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
after reading this thread i attempted to connect an ip4200 which is connected to my desktop (xp) with a usb cable and a laptop (vista) in an attempt to share the printer with my laptop via wireless modem i really don't want to get into a print server. i made the change on the desktop to share the printer to finish the wizard it said i needed to make a network disc to run on the other machine (laptop) well it only wants to make a disc via floppy. i plugged the printer into the laptop and i didn't have to do an install as vista configured the printer and i was able to print when the printer cable is plugged into the laptop, but i can't seem to finish the network sharing of the printer. when i try to print from the laptop is says printer is offline. when i look into the network and sharing center on the laptop it shows network discovery on, file sharing on, printer sharing on, password protected off, media sharing off, helpppppppppp

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
If you have already made your USB connection the default and it is no longer connected, then your laptop will say the printer is offline since it is.

Can you see the printer when you go to My Network Places/Computers Near Me/Your Desktop Computer/Printers/Your Printer? If you can, merely drag Your Printer to the Control Panel/Printers folder on you laptop. If you want to use this printer connection most of the time, right-click on the printer in the printers folder on your laptop and select Set as Default Printer.

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
mrelmo said:
after reading this thread i attempted to connect an ip4200 which is connected to my desktop (xp) with a usb cable and a laptop (vista) in an attempt to share the printer with my laptop via wireless modem i really don't want to get into a print server. i made the change on the desktop to share the printer to finish the wizard it said i needed to make a network disc to run on the other machine (laptop) well it only wants to make a disc via floppy. i plugged the printer into the laptop and i didn't have to do an install as vista configured the printer and i was able to print when the printer cable is plugged into the laptop, but i can't seem to finish the network sharing of the printer. when i try to print from the laptop is says printer is offline. when i look into the network and sharing center on the laptop it shows network discovery on, file sharing on, printer sharing on, password protected off, media sharing off, helpppppppppp
You can try Network Magic from Cisco, they have a trial version so wont cost you anything to try it.

http://www.purenetworks.com/

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
vista is still new to me. i can't find My Network Places/Computers Near Me/Your Desktop Computer/Printers/ do i start looking in control panel or network

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I have never been exposed to Vista so I have no idea how to find these things under that operation system. Doesn't Start/Help help?

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
i can find the printers folder with no problem in the control panel, but the network part is causing the problem

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Does Vista have a control panel called "Network and Dial-up Connections"?

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
it has network and sharing center, but i downloaded a trial version of network magic essentials by cisco, i can connect up to 3 computers (wireless), it works great and at $24.00 for the licensed version i feel it's a bargain, thanks for your help

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Metallo
I know its a bit err.. Late but For the future maybe (I only just joined this forum)

Have you considered using USB setup to solve your printing problems?

I have 4 different types of printers dye and laser and they are connected to 3 different computers and all work fine. I dont however have them connect by a Lan cable to a router, but by usb.. I start by 4-to-one usb switch 3 PCs in here that connects by single usb cable to a 4 port usb hub and all 4 printers are connected to that. Hey Presto everything works as if they were connected to just one computer with all the usual settings. Maybe this will help with your problem..