i1Studio Argyll printer ICC profiles problem

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
there are still some loose ends in the discussion which I cannot really catch - and probably some hidden variables - I just don't have a reason at this time to assume that profiling software - i1Studio or ArgyllCMS - would raise the black point from L*=8 up to L*=19 for some reason. I would run a simple test with both - creating profiles - same paper, ink, with 50 patches and compare the gamuts of the profiles directly - without additional settings like the rendering intent etc

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I was browsing through the Gamutvision support documents and found this in the
Round trip profile assessment as a comment to the last image in this document
http://www.gamutvision.com/docs/roundtrip.html

'This profile shows a large discrepancy between Dmax (maximum B&W density) with and without Black Point Compensation. BPC normally affects the shape of the B&W density response, but has little effect on Dmax. This indicates that the critical BToAn tag could be at fault.' (copied from there)
It refers to a problem with the Dmax in connection with BPC, but it does not give any further advise how to analyze and fix that problem, BPC should not have an effect on Dmax itself.
If it is considered as a problem with ArgyllCMS contacting a user forum there may help.

petrena

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP7250
I was browsing through the Gamutvision support documents and found this in the
Round trip profile assessment as a comment to the last image in this document
http://www.gamutvision.com/docs/roundtrip.html

'This profile shows a large discrepancy between Dmax (maximum B&W density) with and without Black Point Compensation. BPC normally affects the shape of the B&W density response, but has little effect on Dmax. This indicates that the critical BToAn tag could be at fault.' (copied from there)
It refers to a problem with the Dmax in connection with BPC, but it does not give any further advise how to analyze and fix that problem, BPC should not have an effect on Dmax itself.
If it is considered as a problem with ArgyllCMS contacting a user forum there may help.

thanks for this information! In the meantime I ordered a new i1Studio, the results are exactly the same. I am also corresponding with Xrite...