I propose a question to the PRO 3800 / 3880 experts

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
If you know anything about me, you will at least know that I love to experiment specially if I am told, it will be a waste of time and will not work. I've managed to prove a lot of people wrong.

Well, as you all know I have been, for a long time, resetting and refilling my OEM PRO 3800 T058 carts.
And you all also know that the PRO-3880 uses the very same carts the PRO-3800 uses except for the two Vivid Magentas.

Are the chips of the V magenta inks specific to the PRO 3880?
I have quite a few empties of VM and VLM which one would think could not be used in a PRO 3800 due to the not only supposedly different chip codes but also the individualized notching system that these carts utilize to prevent you from mistakenly inserting the wrong color cart positon of the PRO-3800 or 3880.

I said to myself.... well, if that is all that is preventing me from using a perfectly good empty and cleaned VM cart refilled with OEM M K3 ink harvested from large EBAY EPSON carts, I will just cut off the fitting notches on these carts to make them "Universal Fit" so to speak.

Well after resetting them and filling them up with OEM M and LM K3 ink I inserted them into my 3800 and lo and behold, they were happily accepted and have since been working perfectly.

So apparently they do not have a specific code for only the PRO 3880.

Which then brings up this question.

As you know there many refillable systems which use various configurations of OEM chip / Tuning chip combinations, or like Inkrepublic does with their archaic system of two master chips and the rest OEM with one terminal taped over and laborious resetting routine. Would one be able to still specifically choose a system for the 3800 or would the 3880 systems be interchangeable?
I suspect that they would be.

Joe

Last edited:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
If you know anything about me, you will at least know that I love to experiment specially if I am told, it will be a waste of time and will not work. I've managed to prove a lot of people wrong.

Well, as you all know I have been, for a long time, resetting and refilling my OEM PRO 3800 T058 carts.
And you all also know that the PRO-3880 uses the very same carts the PRO-3800 uses except for the two Vivid Magentas.

Are the chips of the V magenta inks specific to the PRO 3880?
I have quite a few empties of VM and VLM which one would think could not be used in a PRO 3800 due to the not only supposedly different chip codes but also the individualized notching system that these carts utilize to prevent you from mistakenly inserting the wrong color cart positon of the PRO-3800 or 3880.

I said to myself.... well, if that is all that is preventing me from using a perfectly good empty and cleaned VM cart refilled with OEM M K3 ink harvested from large EBAY EPSON carts, I will just cut off the fitting notches on these carts to make them "Universal Fit" so to speak.

Well after resetting them and filling them up with OEM M and LM K3 ink I inserted them into my 3800 and lo and behold, they were happily accepted and have since been working perfectly.

So apparently they do not have a specific code for only the PRO 3880.

Which then brings up this question.

As you know there many refillable systems which use various configurations of OEM chip / Tuning chip combinations, or like Inkrepublic does with their archaic system of two master chips and the rest OEM with one terminal taped over and laborious resetting routine. Would one be able to still specifically choose a system for the 3800 or would the 3880 systems be interchangeable?
I suspect that they would be.

Joe

@jtoolman as I occupy the lofty label "printer guru" and am, by association (alone) a venerable guru, I hereby charge YOU with the task of sorting that one out........should you accept this task you will be putting yourself in direct and real danger of becoming a target of OEM's
Good Luck Joe!

This tape will self destruct in sixty seconds!!

:bow