I need an inkjet that will print on labe rolls

Cargill

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have the VP485 for my small label business (using 5" rolls mostly, but can be wider) ... it cost $A6,000 in Australia, with the automatic un-winder attached. It's very good, but it chews through ink at high-level print quality. and as ROX says above, the proprietary cartridges (re-badged HP-1000 carts, as pictured above) make label sales almost non-viable.

My local cartridge shop has tried (a) an HP18 (fits, but chip not accepted), (b) changing the chip in my refilled VP485 branded carts to an HP88 (ditto), and (c) simply re-filling my empty VP485 cart with no chip change (it was accepted, but still reading empty). I will try a new HP88 cartridge next, but I can't find an HP-1000 cart.

So am I right out of options? Obviously I would like to simply refill my 28ml carts at about $18 per time, rather than paying the $99.00 per cart currently! And why would they be so expensive, compared to the identical-looking HP88, and HP18? Is there a CISS that might do the job? Any assistance appreciated.

Cargill

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Update: I have found a solution of sorts - refilling the original VP485 cartridges as they become empty, and then running a small application on the Desktop that tricks the driver software so that it ignores the "Empty" signal it is receiving from the refilled cartridges. The app doesn't reset the chip at all - it just works around the problem. The downside (of course) is that I have to monitor the ink levels manually by weight - since there is no gauge working.

But it prints nicely, at about 25% of the cost of VP485 original carts. I trust the ink is as good (from Cartridge World - a reputable supplier).

Cargill
Melbourne, Victoria