The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Be careful choosing HP, because they don’t usually accept heavy media stock, otherwise they are a great printer.

The brother I use is an old HL 1240 with front loading capacity, but it won’t take heavy stock either, 150 gm max hand fed.

I always choose Canon every time, and you might be lucky if you hurry before the discounts are over on the Pro 10 models...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
So if you guys were in my place, what brand/model inkjet printer would you have purchased?
Sorry, outside my experience. I do no print on heavy cardstock or use foil.

I would look at the specs on various pigment ink Canon models on the Canon web site. If they fit your needs as been described on this thread then go to a brick and mortar store that has that printer with heavy cardstock and foil in hand and demo the model. It may be possible to take a USB with an image you want printed on the cardstock and the store allow you to plug it into the printer or computer running the demo printer. Call ahead to ask the store what they will allow.

Misca

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma2400
Appreciate all your inputs!
Unfortunately I do not have the possibility to go out and check for the best printer physically myself. Hopefully I can ask a friend to do so on my behalf.
Hence the information you guys provided are very useful, so I can pass on the message, as to keep these points in mind!
Hope anybody else searching for the same finds this thread useful too!

Misca

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma2400
Can you guys give me some tips/ advice to consider when buying a used / refurbished mono laser printer?

Considering the fact that older printers may have a straight path of 15 degree angle like the Samsung ML-1450 @The Hat has, I may have to look for used / refurbished laser printers that can do heavy cardstock.

I may probably have to look for an older HP as I am a mac user, but worst case scenario I might be able to hook up my old windows laptop if need be.

What questions do I need to ask the seller about the used mono laser printer that would take card stock?

What kind of questions should I ask about, drum, toner, system compatibility etc..

Misca

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma2400
Hello

Someone is selling their used Samsung ML-2250 printer at a good price. Can any of you guys kindly advice me on this printer for cardstock and Mac OS Elcapitan compatibility. I saw it has a multipurpose tray and a rear. I am not sure of the 10 degree angel of the manual feed from the on line manual.

It says it accepts up to 106 gsm but for cardstock the paper should be heavier.

Here are the specs:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/777012/Samsung-Ml-2250-Series.html?page=71#manual

The person lives far but probably can ship it for free.

@The Hat would much appreciate your in put :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The Hat would much appreciate your in put
What can I say that I haven’t said already before, but if you can get the Samsung to work with your O/S then by all means buy the printer, because when you replace an OEM toner cartridge in a Samsung you get a free drum, so basically a new printer...

P.S. It will accept heavier card stock when using the manual paper trays, but it may also curl somewhat... :oops:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

Misca

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma2400
Hi all,

I am most probably very soon looking into a used laser printer.
As you guys are aware I would also like to use the printer for foiling purposes. However I would also like to have the possibility to use it as a color laser printer for other purposes too.
My question is can I still foil well, If I set the settings to grey scale and only black toner usage when doing foil jobs?
Will this be sufficient for foiling? Or I definitely have to use a Monochrome laser printer ?
Thanks in advance.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
There is a good possibility that the inks used in a Colour laser printer are different from those used in a Mono Laser printer..

Andreas S

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro 3800, Epson 1400
Hi Misca,
Hope these answer wont be too late; By my own experience i would say that there are only Oki and Xante printers which can handle heavy cardstock. Watch out for an used Oki C9600, I used one of them very succesfully a couple of years ago. You can use that printer with the C9800 Graphic Arts driver as the printer is literally the same. Perfect for foiling but also very good color print outs.