Misca

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma2400
Hello All,

I am new to printer knowledge and also relatively new to the printing world,and have been reading up a lot online on printers that will suit my needs.

I really hope to get your advice and tips…

My question may seem repetitive and I apologize in advance for that.

However, I have a few more points and questions which may have not been asked in similar posts.

I am desperately searching for both an Inkjet printer and Laser printer for Card Stock 220+ gsm

I would like to state my requirements by first stating that I use a Mac OS X, ElCapitan Laptop, and my total budget for both printers is around 300-350 dollars,plus minus.

Laser:
  • I need a mono laser printer for printing on Card stock of 220 gsm + for foiling
  • Laser printer that is user friendly or compatible with my system
  • will be printing on mostly matte and slightly textured paper
  • light usage, probably not more than 60 sheets of 220 +/- gsm a month

I have researched both on other sites and this site too, and read from the popular member @The Hat here that he uses Samsung ML 1450, which is an older series.

I would like to know:

• How compatible or difficult/easy would it be to install the older model Samsung printer driver on my Mac OS X ? would I have issues of not being able to install it at all?
  • I have gone thru the specs of this printer ( Samsung ML 1450) online, but haven’t come across in the manual stating the maximum acceptable GSM on this printer as 400 gsm. ( Probably it is in the paper booklet, but not online. Only states Card stock in online pdf )
  • Is this given paper weight of 400 gsm for the Samsung ML-1450 mainly based on experience?
  • I have come across many printers that state a maximum acceptable weight, but have come across many online users stating either they can only print half the weight of the indicated paper handling, or to a lesser extent, online commentators stating more than the weight the printer specified. Some straight path printers also indicate a maximum paper weight.
  • Would I be able to find the spare parts/toner of such printers such as the Samsung ML 1450 or other older laser printers easily and at a reasonable price?
  • What is a true straight path printer in comparison to the C and S printers? Any printer with a true straight path that anyone can recommend for my purpose?
  • Can you’ll kindly recommend any other laser printer you’ll have actually tested or used for this purpose
  • Has any one used the Samsung 3320nd for heavy cardstock in the newer model printers and is it like the older models that would be able to take heavier than 220 gsm card stock or we have to stick to the older ones for exceeding this limit http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/printers/SL-M3320ND/XAA-specs and how does it work with Mac system?
  • Any comments on these printers, some are straight path printers, if anyone knows about them:
HP P3005

HP LaserJet 2100

HP laserjet P2055D

HP Laserjet 2035

HP 4050n

HP Laserjet p2055d

Brother 2280DW

Brother HL-5450DL

Brother DCP-7065dn

Brother HL-5440D

Brother MFC 7360N

Brother HL-L2300D

Samsung M3820

Samsung M2835DW

I am open to any other brands ( Canon, Ricoh, etc ) except OKI as it is not supported or available in my neck of the woods

Inkjet:
  • I need it to print normal vector shapes not detailed photography
  • High yield, preferably Ecotank ones
  • I need an inkjet printer that can handle 220 gsm + matte lightly textured yardstick, such as fabriano etc
  • I have heard ink cartridges will lead to bleeding on heavy card stock, if so how would a canon Ecotank work which has black pigment ink and 3 colored dye ink, considering the fact most of the outlines of my images would be in black. Will the pigment ink avoid the dye ink from bleeding?
  • The reason I want an Ecotank is obviously because of the easy refill and high yield, but I have read again on this forum by @The Hat that refilling a Canon pixa pro’s 10 is a child’s play. Is it that easy and not messy and would it be a better investment for thicker card stock, although I will be using it for printing simple vector graphics ( cartoonish figures etc) ? My main concern is that the ink should no bleed on heavy card stock,not so much superior print quality.
  • I cannot afford expensive cartridges so, my main option would be refills
  • Would Epson or Canon be better for my needs? plus and minus of both
  • Can I fill all tanks of the Canon Pixma G2400 with pigment ink instead of dye ink?As Canon has black pigment and dye color inks.
  • How will printers with dye inks fair if filled with pigment inks from the start? will it damage them?
I do not have the luxury to test various printers physically, probably only one to two , so my information will be mainly from experienced users online.

Sorry for my lengthy post and many questions and look forward to get good suggestions for my needs.

Thank you all for reading and responding to my post in advance. Hope it will be useful for others who seek the same.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @Misca and welcome, if your post was any longer, you could have hung old glory on it, now where to Feckin start...:eek:

Most inkjet and laser printers that have a manual back feed tray will take heavy card stock, but your biggest problem with be Mac O/S compatibility.

The Mac won’t accept printers that don’t have 64-bit drivers, unless you can use a duel boot with an older O/S, so if your chosen printer states, it is not compatible with your current O/S then pass it by, and older cheaper printers won’t have a driver for the newer O/S’s.

If you constantly exceed the maximum paper weight in a laser, it will develop streaky images after a period of time, but most laser printers will accept 220gm as a Maximum, and that's only if they have a straight through back feeders.

If you wish to keep your costs down you can check Amazon for compatible ink cartridges, but laser printers are already the cheapest way to print B&W anyway.

Recommending one laser printer over another is of no value, because there are countless hundreds of them, you’ll need to visit computer or print sales stores to find one suitable, or ask for advice while you’re there, but first check the manufactures websites to see what’s available in your state.

Now if your card stock is not laser and inkjet printer compatible, it will give you problems on both printers, the toner can flake off the surface after fusing and an inkjet dye or pigment ink printer will cause bleaching, find suitable stock before you start.

The type of ink delivery system on an inkjet is not your only concern, if you plan to distribute or sell your work, then pigment ink is advisable, because if the paper surface gets wet, the dye ink can transfer to clothing and furnishings.

A good supply of 3rd party ink with keep your costs down, and only a limited number of printers can successfully switch between pigment and dye ink, but with a Canon you can’t...

Misca

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma2400
That you very much @The Hat for taking the time to read and reply to my longgg post!

Highly appreciate it!

It would be extremely helpful if you could kindly suggest any inkjet printer that can take both pigment and dye inks?

By the way just curious to know what is the maximum paper weight stated for your Samsung printer? just to get an idea...

Look forward to your great advice!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
suggest any inkjet printer that can take both pigment and dye inks?
It is an either or, not both. The exception is one cartridge with Pigment Black ink for text and one or more cartridges with Dye-based ink for colors are found in many inkjet printers.

One thing to consider with any printer is total cost of ownership. The major cost is typically ink for inkjets or toner for lasers. Make sure with the printer you choose that you can easily source ink or toner locally or on the internet AND at the cost you are willing to pay. This includes the availability of aftermarket inks or toners, whether already in a cartridge or in bulk where you do the refilling.

I'd also do a Google search for reviews on the printers you narrow it down to. An inexpensive printer may not give you the longevity or "duty cycle" you need. You can also guestimate how often you will need to change toner/drum and feed the paper tray.

Misca

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma2400
It is an either or, not both. The exception is one cartridge with Pigment Black ink for text and one or more cartridges with Dye-based ink for colors are found in many inkjet printers.
Thanks for your in put!
Yes, I saw a canon ecotank sort of printer, Canon Pixma G2400/ G3400 which holds black pigment ink and dye colors.What would happen if all were to be refilled with third party pigment ink ?

I saw on the internet an Epson L220 which holds dye ink can be filled with pigment ink instead in this short clip and the company says in the comments section it is compatible with all Epson L series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0h8bqi-UhM

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
It would be extremely helpful if you could kindly suggest any inkjet printer that can take both pigment and dye inks?
As I only use Canon printers, I am unable to answer the question accurately regarding Epson printers, but I wouldn’t put pigment ink into the Eco tank printer shown in that video.
By the way just curious to know what is the maximum paper weight stated for your Samsung printer? just to get an idea...
My Samsung printer is old now, but its maximum paper weight is 220gm, but I did feed far heavier invitation cards into it will no last effects. (A one off foiling job)

Papers and board sourced in an Arts and Craft store will most likely be useless for use in any home printer, there are many good paper suppliers to be found on line...

Misca

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma2400
As I only use Canon printers, I am unable to answer the question accurately regarding Epson printers, but I wouldn’t put pigment ink into the Eco tank printer shown in that video.

My Samsung printer is old now, but its maximum paper weight is 220gm, but I did feed far heavier invitation cards into it will no last effects. (A one off foiling job)

Papers and board sourced in an Arts and Craft store will most likely be useless for use in any home printer, there are many good paper suppliers to be found on line...

Any recommendations for Canon printers that can take either dye or pigment ink?
What do you think of the Canon pixma G2400
( you may click on the printer model to take you to the specs pages)

Thank you very much for the info on your Samsung printer.

I would like your advice on these three printers.

One is the newer mono laser printer from Samsung 3320 ND that accepts up to 220 gsm but doesn’t have a straight path, but comes of from the top with a C curve I was told. This printer was recommended for cardstock up to 220 gsm and for foiling as the foil seemed to bond well.

The other is an HP LaserJet-P1102w,( recommend by Heidi Swapp)which mentions it can take up to around 163 gsm without a rear tray, but an online user mentioned it took up to even a 110 lb cardstock! And was advised by the hp tech just to change the settings to heavy/ thick cardstock. This is the link of the brief discussion:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/print-cardstock-LaserJet-P1102w/td-p/5508500

Here the same member crafter70’s mentioned the option cover stock #110was chosen to print on a 110 lb paper :
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/print-cardstock-LaserJet-P1102w/td-p/6162972

Another one I researched is a Brother HL-5450Dn that accepts up to 163 gsm but has a rear tray that can go straight thru. I thought because this has a straight path option to it, probably might be able to do better than the HP Laser Jet P1102w as both of these printers mentioned 163 gsm, but with changing the setting a 119 lb was even achieved by hp. Also Samsung 3320nd although it states it accepts up to 220 gsm, it doesn’t have the rear tray option and gives abit of a slight curve to tge cardstock.
This short clip shows the rear tray option on brother: https://youtu.be/PIdqGAhaC6s
I just have to research if the toner on the Brother HL-5450Dn is good for adhering to foil.

Out of these 3 which option would you guys think is the best for my needs, and considering all aspects of a laser printer?

Maybe you guys can put in a word based on your experience?

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Canon Pixma G2400/ G3400 which holds black pigment ink and dye colors.What would happen if all were to be refilled with third party pigment ink ?
The following concerns Canon printers. I do not have experience to determine the feasibility with Epson printers or other printers for that matter.

I do not know for sure but the pigment particles may clog up the nozzles designed for liquid dye ink and lead to irreversible nozzle burn.

I have not and do not recommend putting pigment ink in a print head designed for dye ink.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Out of these 3 which option would you guys think is the best for my needs, and considering all aspects of a laser printer?
Maybe you guys can put in a word based on your experience?

You may find this strange but we here trouble shoot printer problems and we don’t do printer reviews, but saying that we are not able to give you an accrete assessment of printers we have not come in to contact with.

The Canon G2400 is a no, no for what you want to use it for, and again you cannot put pigment ink into a Canon dye ink printer, well you can, but you won’t have it for long.

While the Samsung will work for you, the curve may well be unacceptable, what you need is a laser printer with no more than a 15-degree angle, any more than that will curve the hell out of the media stock.

The Brother won’t cut it either, the exit path maybe straight but the entry is not, it will handle foil quite easily too, because I currently use a Brother for foiling.

Many laser printers today are 1200 DPI rated, but for every day use 300 is more than acceptable, and if you want to impress then set the printer to 600, but remember the higher the setting the more toner you use, for no extra quality, and you must use 600 for foiling..

Misca

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma2400
Thank you very much @The Hat and @stratman for all your advice although you guys don’t do printer reviews.

Your advice based on experience is valuable.

So far the Samsung and brother model are ruled out, hence the HP * could be an option. Despite it looking it has more than 15 degree angel.

But for best results based on your advices I need to look for a laser printer with a 15 degree angle.

I will make more research based on the information you guys have given me.

Any mono laser printer apart from the Samsung Ml-1450, that comes to your mind that has the 15 degree angle, you can recommend?

@The Hat ,How is your brother when it comes to curling of the cardstock? And does it take heavy cardstock like your Samsung?

So if you guys were in my place, what brand/model inkjet printer would you have purchased?

Again thank you so much for your participation in my discussion!

Last edited: