I’m Planning for the Canon Pro-1000

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
why would a piezo printhead be more ink thirsty than a bubble printhead - isn't ink just a matter of ink volume and coverage on the paper how it looks and which saturation it can acheive ? Nozzle backup is indeed quite a nice feature, but I could imagine that the print speed would slow down significantly when a missing nozzle has to be substituted by another nozzle at another location in the printhead for the same color which would require a separate printpass just for that nozzle. Detecting a missing nozzle is one thing, but the industry has not found a trick to clean individual nozzles yet eliminating most of the waste ink from cleaning cycles. There is not even a cleaning mechanism for an individual nozzle row available in most printers, except for the pigment black in Canon Printers and some Brother printers - cleaning black or all other colors.

Well, that is what I used to think would happen before I thought about it again. If you had enough processing power and finite control within the printer and printhead, you can actually have the remapped clogged nozzle as part of another pass or same pass which was going to happen anyways thereby losing practically no speed. The fast remapping as inclusion of another group is the key. Essentially it requires that the print engine algorithm needs to modify itself on the fly and this change is kept in memory. POWERFUL processing is needed. Considering the speed and power improvements in Canon DIGIC processors over the years on the camera side, would we not have expected something parallel to this in printers to some degree? There might be surprises under the hood.

Here's another thing to think about in the same vein, compare the specs of the Pro-100 and Pro9000 MKII and MG printers with respect to droplet size, why are the less expensive MG printers sporting smaller droplet sizes, yet the 100 can print with finer grain......the processor and finite control. Same situation for Epson with respect to performance. Finer control of the drop pattern allows it and this is only possible with increased processing power within the print engine. Whether we as humans can discern the improvements is another thing though.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
As to the remapping, it is entirely possible for Epson to remap a failed nozzle, just like Canon can. It would simply take longer to print. Now I am sure that many people would actually prefer that solution than junking the printer. Technically it should be possible. RIP mfrs, should be able to do this. Run a routine, a nozzle check on an Epson will determine exactly which nozzle is a "goner", determine the non functioning nozzle. Enter the location of such nozzle in the RIP software or printer driver. Now the RIP software or driver takes this into account and accommodates the extra head passes necessary. Hey, is this a disclosure of a patent?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
why would a piezo printhead be more ink thirsty than a bubble printhead - isn't ink just a matter of ink volume and coverage on the paper how it looks and which saturation it can acheive ? Nozzle backup is indeed quite a nice feature, but I could imagine that the print speed would slow down significantly when a missing nozzle has to be substituted by another nozzle at another location in the printhead for the same color which would require a separate printpass just for that nozzle. Detecting a missing nozzle is one thing, but the industry has not found a trick to clean individual nozzles yet eliminating most of the waste ink from cleaning cycles. There is not even a cleaning mechanism for an individual nozzle row available in most printers, except for the pigment black in Canon Printers and some Brother printers - cleaning black or all other colors.

Piezo heads are more thirsty not because they consume more ink on the paper. They need to consume ink to address issues that will likely cause the printhead not to function properly when at rest and during printing. At rest, the aspect of meniscus failure over time will allow air to migrate into the printhead. This needs to be removed for the printhead to work properly. During printing, there exists a phenomenon called air entrapment that can happen during the jetting process. This entrapped air needs to be removed before it causes print issues during printing. Both these issues will exist even on proper working machines.

http://www.lorentzcenter.nl/lc/web/...rapment in piezo-driven inkjet printheads.pdf

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The new Canon Pro 1000 printer with all its bells and whistles should make some guys very happy, but it’s what Canon are not telling us that’s of more concern.

These stupid restrictions that they place upon Printer owners is nothing short of a joke, your totally unaware before you buy it that it wont let you do this or that, none of these things are ever mentioned in their glossy brochures or fancy adverts.

If Canon rented the printer to you then I reckon you could live with their stupidly but once you purchase it, well ?

O’ but wait you won’t get tractors wheel marks on your paper or have to change from matte/photo black ink, wow that’s about all the difference there is between a 3880 and the Pro 1000, but of course there's lots more waiting to be revealed.

The paper handling restrictions have been carried forward into the new Pro 1000 as well as the BK ink on matte paper issue and so is the paper length, it’s still stuck at 590 cm maximum, but wait, you can print to 43 cm wide isn’t that bloody marvellous.

On a bog standard 15 year old A4 printers you could print to 590 cm and back then the printer cost €120 but this thing will cost around €1500.

What about a Paper roll system or is that an option that Canon figured you wouldn’t need with their new wonderful printer, but you do get a maintenance cartridges this time.

Yes guys they’ve added a replaceable maintenance cartridge on this model, but the maintenance tank is tiny and you’ll go through these tanks as quick as a set of ink cartridges.

So unless you’re going to be selling all of your Photo prints then this printer is not for you, it would be like taking out an overdraft and you know how much they cost !
Just some of my observations..

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
New reports talk about ink leaks in pro 1000 :ya

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I was at Canon Belgium this afternoon (there was a free camera and sensor cleaning and they did a good job).

There were some prints with the PRO-1000 on luster paper, and I could not resist to look at the gloss differences.
I was a bit surprised to see that white parts (no ink) still were slightly glossier.

Depends on the paper of coarse, but I am not unhappy with my PRO-9500 II and my old stock of Ilford Smooth Pearl.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Yes I'm still happy with the pro9500 especially printing on Canon Fine Art Natural Matte paper. The prints look terrific. I have to buy the paper from B&H in NY as they don't sell it down here.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Redsetter is toying with the idea of a possible resetter for the Pro-1000. I now have to look at the construction of the Pro-1000 carts carefully. I need to get my hands on some Pro-1000 carts to give them a closer look.