I’m Planning for the Canon Pro-1000

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
with the announcement of the Pro-1000 the other Canon A2 printer - the IPF5100 appears to be on the phase out route.............................

Very interesting to read and look at the references/reviews, less than £1000. Sad that such a device is way out of my territory as far as usage is concerned.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If I could get the great discounts that are available in the US I’d get an iPF5100 myself even dough I wouldn’t have any use for it, I reckon it’s a better printer that the Pro-1000 just looking at both the specs.

The iPF5100 has more going for it without the restrictions that are imposed on the Pro-1000..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
>Ink ejection conditions are precisely checked with sensors, and when a blockage is detected, another nozzle automatically provides backup and compensates to provide a smooth, even flow of ink.Ink ejection conditions are precisely checked with sensors, and when a blockage is detected, another nozzle automatically provides backup and compensates to provide a smooth, even flow of ink<

Wow !

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Bach-up nozzle utilization is a common feature in very large format pro printers...

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
This one sounds like it can detect it on the fly. Possibly by using the heater element as the sensor itself. Resistance of the element will vary with temperature. If ink is not ejected the heater element temp will rise. If you can detect this rise through reduced current flow, then you know the nozzle is not shooting ink properly and since you know exactly which nozzle is missing, then you activate another one to fill in that spot. Eazy Peazy , right?

Last edited:

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Unfortunately the negative side of bubblejet technology: print heads tend to wear much faster than piezo print heads. On the other hand piezo printing technique is very thirsty in ink consumption compared to bubblejet technology.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
why would a piezo printhead be more ink thirsty than a bubble printhead - isn't ink just a matter of ink volume and coverage on the paper how it looks and which saturation it can acheive ? Nozzle backup is indeed quite a nice feature, but I could imagine that the print speed would slow down significantly when a missing nozzle has to be substituted by another nozzle at another location in the printhead for the same color which would require a separate printpass just for that nozzle. Detecting a missing nozzle is one thing, but the industry has not found a trick to clean individual nozzles yet eliminating most of the waste ink from cleaning cycles. There is not even a cleaning mechanism for an individual nozzle row available in most printers, except for the pigment black in Canon Printers and some Brother printers - cleaning black or all other colors.

Last edited:

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
As Mikling stated before: piezo print heads need a lot of ink to prime the print head, much more compared to bubblejet systems and from my experience with several Canon and Epson printer I can confirm Mikling's finding about this, which is a pity unfortunately.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
oh yes, the acutal amount of that arbitrary ink usage is a well kept secret by the printer manufacturers and differs very much between models and manufacturers