HP22 vs HP57

cobruh

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this forum, hoping you can help. Just bought an HP Officejet 5610 that uses an HP22 tricolor cartridge. Previously owned 5510 that use an HP57 tricolor. The 22 and 57 look identical in every way, including the contact layout, so I was hoping that I could use my old 57's instead of the 22, but the printer won't recognize them even though they fit like a glove. Anyone know anyway around this? I have 3 brand new, sealed 57s that I now can't use? Thanks in advance for your help!

inkexpert

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I refill cartridges for a living and couple people have approached me with the same question. The problem is that the chip on cartridge is different from one another. That's why you are getting that message. You won't be able to use 57's instead of your 22.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Refill your HP22 is the way to go. I helped a neighbor to refill his HP56 (black) ink cartridge. We just inserted the needle of a syringe into one of the vent hole covered by the label on top of the cartridge. Just insert the needle deep into the sponge then inject the ink. If you do not insert the needle deep into the sponge you will create an air pocket in the sponge and the cartridge will stop working once the the air reaches the printhead. But if you insert the needl too deep into the sponge where there is still ink in it you will feel strong resistance to inject ink. You will need to pull the needle out slightly and try to inject ink again. Pull the needle out a little again untill the ink can be easily injected. I'd think refilling HP22 to be similar. Peel the label at the top to see 3 vent holes, one for each color. Just refill through the vent holes. My neighbor uses IMS refill ink from Costco. It seems work fine.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I've been using lots of these cartridges in the past. I've learned two things:

1) Using the right ink is important.
2) Using a priming tool is important. After refilling as hpnetserver recommends, turn the cartridge upside down and pull a little ink with your syringe (use the priming tool) and then you are ready to print.

These cartridges are in my opinion the easiest to refill.

cobruh

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. What brand/vendor of inkjet refills do you recommend for the HP cartridges I mentioned?

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I had good experience with Weink on HP cartridges.

misterinkjet81

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The HP #21 and #22 are rip offs. Just look at the amount of ink you can get out of or original #57 (17ml per color) vs. your current HP #22 (5ml per color) I would return that printer pronto.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
misterinkjet81 is right. The trend at HP over the last few years is to make smaller and smaller cartridges. All the printer companies have been doing a form of this...as if they were not making enough money!!!

That is why this forum is so important - so we can learn about better re-filling techniques, and which printer models to stay away from.

dougsewell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Go to www.abcartridges.co.uk for rmanufactured cartridges that hold 17ml in Black and 250% more in colour.
I have changed to a HP D1470 (19.99 at Argos) as I am sick and tired of the problems I have had with both Epson and Canon printers with "Chipped" cartridges.
The 1470 is so simple to fill it is unbelievable but take it slow from the bottom up to avoid air pockets. Start with a basic refil kit which gives all the tools before moving on to larger bulk ink supplies

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I think that the HP57 cartridge may hold a total of 17 ml (all three colors). I have been refilling mine for a while, and when empty will only accept a max of 5 ml per color. This can be verified by checking the refill instructions at alotofthings, InkTec, etc. I don't think any of the newer HP cartridges (with integral print head) holds that much ink.