HP PSC 2110 driver -- Bloatware!

SilentRob

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm back (if you noticed I was gone) with another quandary. I figure that inkjet printer experts would be the best people to ask. I'm in the middle of slimming down my system after a spyware/adware infection, and I figure that while I'm at it, I should do something abou this:

HP's driver for the PSC 2100 series is disgustingly large, forces several superfluous programs to run in the background, and is the main factor in delaying my startup time. Is there a piece of "driver only" software (preferably *less* than 100 MB to download), third-pary perhaps, or am I forced to have the "Digital Imaging Suite" and "Share To Web", etc. take up space on my HDD and power in my CPU?

Here are some excerpts from a HijackThis! Log, showing only the processes in question:

-----------------------------------------
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:35:45 PM, on 8/13/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnf.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpoevm08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Bin\hpoSTS08.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe (I'm not sure this is related to the printer, but it has HP in the name, so I'll show it to you)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - Startup: hp psc 2000 Series.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: hp psc 2000 Series.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe
------------------------------------------

Those last three things are registry entries that allow the driver to load on startup. As you can see, there's a lot going on here that I don't need in order to print. Everything these programs do is better done through Photoshop and PaintShopPro (Imaging) or through personal web space (Share To Web). I'd like to just have printing capability without all this hooey!

Thanks for your help!