HP CIS problems - need fix, or new printers

ZenMasta

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi guys I've been using HP business inkjets models 1200/2800/2280 (uses HP#11 print heads and cartridges) for several years and have been pretty happy with them. I only learned about Continuous ink systems a few months back. Boy do I wish I would have found out sooner. We've saved so much time not refilling cartridges and diddle daddling around with expired chips or low ink level warnings fo waaay to long.

Anyhow, after a few months of bliss using the CIS The printer displays the message "Turn off then on the printer." in the printer's Event Log shows Event 0150-8716 with a Description of Firmware Error.. The LCD also has said something about ink tanks but unfortunately I couldn't write it down and now it only says "replace incompatible or faulty ink cartridges.

They absolutely will not print with the cis anymore. Sometimes I can put in refilled cartridges and then put the CIS in after a few pages but that would only last for another couple of pages.

I've noticed that HP no longer seems to make any printers with number 11 compatible cartridges. The models that seem to directly replace these use black/tri color cartridges which are not very reliable for refilling. There are other models that use #88 cartridges... pretty much exactly the same as #11 but twice the size, however I don't know that they make a CIS for them. If they did I think that would be ideal because we still have several pints of each color and probably a gallon of black ink (black is pigmented)

When the CIS were working we'd print a few reams a day per printer. Now that they aren't we're back on our refills and we're probably only getting about a ream a day due to the frequent cartridge errors etc.

At this point I need recommendations on which printers to buy that can replace ours. We print about as non stop as possible 8.5x11 duplex in color using HP business Inkjet 1200. We print 11x17 duplex in color using HP business Inkjet 2800.

My requirements
Duplex printing
Network capable (nothing fancy, just don't want to connect by usb/parallel)
Currently in production and compatible with CIS

I'd prefer recommendations from user experience if possible.

Thanks a lot.

Forsurchi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey ZenMasta, sad to say that I can't believe no one answered you on this. Anyhow, the error's you were getting on the CIS could have been from the chip. I noticed the date you wrote the post on the forum, so it has to be a date error. Try setting the date back on the computer or on the printer back 1 year. See if that makes a difference (if you still have the CIS and the printer). Best advice, get an updated chip.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
There's quite a few people posting on a few printer forums about problems with their CIS and refillable cartridges where the printer declares the cartridges incompatible or similar.

The problem always seems to come down to the auto-reset chips expiring and the solution is to purchase new chips. The date change may work but ultimately it's a pain to have to do that so getting new chips is definitely easier.

ZenMasta

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey thanks for your replies.. sheesh 10 months later I must have turned off notifications on this forum or something. What I have done in the meantime was actually buy brand new hp cartridges and replace the chips that were on the CIS and it does work. Even though the icon on the LCD says it is low, I have not received any errors saying to replace the cartridge yet. Pretty sure that it's a combination of measuring the ink and also the little white bumper that pushes up on rubber one way valve in the cartridge.
The chips on genuine cartridges are super thin and the chips on my ciss were probably 4 times as thick so it was a little hard to put them in place, even with small fingers. I had to first glue them to a folded up paper square the size of the chip and then glue that in place. But, I'd still rather get non expiring chips, auto reset is nice but I don't mind pulling the cartridges out and back in if that's all it takes to reset.

It's kind of crummy that these CIS chips expire. I expected that of course from HP but not from the cis.

So I definitely knew it was a chip problem, I just assumed that maybe through some kind of auto update (the printers call home these days) maybe they caught on to the scheme. I've been cautious to make sure that the firewall doesn't make exceptions for the printers.

Thanks for the tip about the date and time change, but I can't do that because our database and other stuff needs time stamping. Also the printers are on the network and I think they get the time from the router.

I will see about getting replacement chips. Does anyone have a reliable source? I don't think I want to order from the same company I got the CIS from. They woudn't help me when I said they stopped working, so why give them more business right?

Maybe I should get a new CIS, mine leak. It seems like the catrdige is a 2 piece mold and seems seem to leak. :/

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ZenMasta said:
Hey thanks for your replies.. sheesh 10 months later I must have turned off notifications on this forum or something. What I have done in the meantime was actually buy brand new hp cartridges and replace the chips that were on the CIS and it does work. Even though the icon on the LCD says it is low, I have not received any errors saying to replace the cartridge yet. Pretty sure that it's a combination of measuring the ink and also the little white bumper that pushes up on rubber one way valve in the cartridge.
You're right... the black rubber bulb in the base of the cartridge is part of a pump mechanism which the white "bumper" pushes against to complete the action. It seems that the printer detects reduce pressure and declares the cartridge empty if the pressure drops.

Interesting that the cartridge doesn't declare the cartridge empty though... Something for me to look into some more.

It's kind of crummy that these CIS chips expire. I expected that of course from HP but not from the cis.
I don't "know" but I would guess that the printers are set to detect an unreasonably high expiry date as an indication of "not HP" or "faulty" so that may be the problem. I have a chip manufacturer who have said they're happy to reset the chips to a later expiry if they're nearing or at expiry (for free) in the future so it would seem it's not a deliberate act on the part of the ARC manufacturer.

I will see about getting replacement chips. Does anyone have a reliable source? I don't think I want to order from the same company I got the CIS from. They woudn't help me when I said they stopped working, so why give them more business right?
Well I have them on my own store (see the link below) with two types black dependent or independent. They work pretty well and as to reliability I had a few issues with a couple of duff chips but replacing any that do that is obviously free. Obviously I'm biased though :)

Maybe I should get a new CIS, mine leak. It seems like the catrdige is a 2 piece mold and seems seem to leak. :/
I'll be honest I hate the 3rd party refillable cartridges with a passion and instead recycle OEM carts instead now. The 3rd party ones leak like crazy... Again I have a CIS kit but it's primarily aimed at schools in design and approach and you'll have your own ink (at a guess) so it may not be ideal.

Anyway... hopefully the stuff on the chips and ink detection side of things is useful and thanks for your input on the original OEM chips.. useful info.

ZenMasta

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm actually thinking of making my own CISS because the cartridges that came with my CISS were not very well constructed (you're right, they suck). As I mentioned they leak on the seams and also, the hole in the nozzle on the cartridge is only protected by a flimsy film and once it is broken that's it. Which means your cart is likely to leak big time if your ink tanks are too high above the cartridge.

I see your store link but I'm in the US (California) so that's a no go, I need something a little more local.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ZenMasta said:
I'm actually thinking of making my own CISS
:) Probably wise. I'd look at using the filling port in the OEM cartridges (under the chip holder part) as that avoids any problems with the bag part.

I see your store link but I'm in the US (California) so that's a no go, I need something a little more local.
No problem...

ZenMasta

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures? I was thinking of bypassing the bag all together and just connecting a tub right before the one way valve that goes into the pressure bulb.

Also, on your site what does it mean not black chip dependant?