HP 88 campatible ink cartridge

agoldwas

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,
We have a specialized printer that is made by a 3rd party company that uses an HP print engine and HP 88 ink cartridges but the chips are programmed special so that you can't use standard 88 cartridge. When you put a standard 88 cartridge in the printer it tells you to replace the cartridge. The printer is basically an Hp officejet pro K550 but modified for a specific application.

Is it possible to read these chips to see how they are programmed and program refillable cartridges with the same code? Or we would even be looking for a continuous ink system. If anyone can help me out with this please let me know and I can provide more information.

Thank you,
Aaron

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Aaron,

you can actually purchase special refillable HP 88 cartridges with autoreset chip or refill the original ones and remove the original chip and attach an autoreset chip onto it. These chips are actually not very expensive and can be purchased at any good refill shop.

agoldwas

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply,

The problem I think we will have with the refillable cartridges is that the standard chips on the HP 88 cartridges don't work in the printer. So will the auto reset chips work? The actual cartridges that work with the printer are identical to the HP 88 cartridge as they fit in but the chips don't actually work with the printer.

What is actually stored on these chips? is it just a serial number or is there more information such as ink left in the cartridge?

Thanks again,
Aaron

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
If you have a few of these printer specific cartridges, try this

Not sure if this is true but I was told that the HP k550 printer holds the cartridge id number and calculates the ink usage for that ID number. (not verified) sounds good.

According to the person that told me this, (a Printer tech), "the HP k550 only holds the last three cartridges info" OK

Maybe you can defeat this by rotating cartridges out. (sounds good)

Start refilling cartridges (I replaced OEM chip with ARC with my k550 sounds like this will not work on your system).

Also I replaced the rubber ball on the #88 cartridge with a self taping 8/32 fine thread bolt with a fiber washer. Easier to open and refill.

Number your cartridges set 1, 2, 3, 4, (per color) according to this guy, when you hit cartridge 4, the printer would not recognize it as a cartridge that has been used, thus thinking it is a new filled cartridge. WOW no guarantee. worth a try if you got 4 cartridges of the same color.

Good luck

agoldwas

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi John,

I did come across a post on the net stating that HP printers only remembers the last 3 cartridges. Hmm if this is the case that would mean if you use a cartridge in 1 printer and then move it to a different printer the second printer would think the cartridge is full? Wish I had a second printer like this to try it on.

I know our epson printers do not work like this as if we move an ink cartridge from 1 printer to another it knows how much ink is left in that cartridge.

The 4 cartridge solution would work but I guess we could not use a continues ink system for this printer. Besides the chip on the 88 cartridges is it hard to fill? What kind of ink do you use?

Thank again,
Aaron

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
This brings back my memory of my old HP printer. At the time, I can't figure out why. After I switched to Canon i550, I came across an article telling people to use masking tape to cover up one contact at a time. Put the cartridge in the printer. The printer will record it as a new cartridge. Take out the cartridge and move the masking tape to different position. Repeat this procedures three times to flush out the memory of your cartridge ID. The problem is to find out which contacts are for the cartridge ID.

agoldwas

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,

I got an HP 11 ink cartridge C4838A and put it in the printer but get a message that says "Please Replace Ink (2)"

The printer manufacturer says that their colour cartridges have 28ml of ink in them and the black cartridge has 69ml so I thought that the hp 11 cartridge might be the right cartridge as it also has 28ml but the chip does not seem to be working with this printer.

The bar code on the yellow cartridge provided by the manufacturer say BBE does anyone know what this means? the barcode on the C4838A says BDG.

As well on the cartridge provided by the printer manufacture the sticker says Yellow 1000 XL Ink Cartridge. I have searched for this but not found anything.

Does anyone know if a chip re setter would work on these cartridges?

Thank again for all your help.
Aaron