How To Take Good Care Of Pro 9000?

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
I recently bought a used Pro 9000 Mk I. I won't be using it a lot, merely to print A3 format photos every now and then (say, once every couple of weeks).

What would be the best way to take care of this printer? I'm afraid the priinthead will get clogged if I don't use it regularly. Would it be sufficient to print a nozzle check once a week?

Another question. This printer does not have a large black ink cartridge, only photo black. Does that mean it is not intended for high volume text printing?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
In my opinion a weekly nozzle check is a very good maintenance of a Canon printer. In case of a less than perfect nozzle check you can act immediately. Normally a regular nozzle cleaning or two will then be sufficient to get the print head back in perfect working order.

The printer is a dedicated photo printer, but I think it can also be used to print plain paper documents with very good results. I have a iP6600D that is a dedicated A4 photo printer also without pigment black, and plain paper documents are very good. It might be a good idea to have some extra resat and refilled CLI-8 BK cartridges at hand if you intend to also use the printer for plain paper documents, as the dye black cartridge only has half the capacity of the pigment black PGI-5 PGBK.

I have no experience with the Pro 9000, only with smaller Canon printers, but maybe The Hat has some comments?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
In deed I have, you will have no worries regarding head clogs in the 9000
when it’s left for long periods without use.

However I don’t think you want to test faith so I would recommend you do weekly
or forth nightly nozzle prints also.

If you print a test page from the print setup (General Tab) it will have the current date on it
then turn over this page and use the other side to print your nozzle check,
now leave that sheet on top of the printer as a reminder as to when you last printed.

The 9000 will print excellent text pages despite not having a dedicated pigment black
cartridge, the printer uses only four colours to print text documents on plain paper
using standard mode but the text is still good and sharp,
and I reckon you’ll be very happy doing text documents on it.

Good luck with your new Beast and try to use it every day,
I would it’s a real joy to own one..

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
If you already fear a head clog because of not often enough printing? Then you know the answer! As Hat said. Do not tempt fate though the PRO 9000mkii put up with your rate of printing quite well. A weekly nozzle check is good insurance.

Joe

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
Thank you all for your valuable replies. It's all clear to me, now. I now have to find the paper I like and get icc profiles.

To start with, I have ordered 10 sheets of Canon PT-101 Pro Platinum A3 size and can hardly wait till they arrive.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Thank you all for your valuable replies. It's all clear to me, now. I now have to find the paper I like and get icc profiles.

To start with, I have ordered 10 sheets of Canon PT-101 Pro Platinum A3 size and can hardly wait till they arrive.
That’s the spirit, print print print :weee