How to remove PRO-1 printhead ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Could you advise what would be the next step to fix it?
The Pro 1 printer does not like anyone doing anything other than the normal everyday stuff, so cleaning the print head outside of the printer is not recommended, if the printer cant clean it itself, then the head should be replaced.

I have never known the (Co) to get a clog, in fact it’s impossible because the clear optimiser just doesn’t clog because it’s not ink, and if the (Co) nozzles are not printing properly then it’s an electrical problem, because you can’t fix any electrical issues, no matter how much cleaning you do..

Anthonycano_2013

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pixma pro 1
Am I correct in that the MBK has three horizontal stripes and that CO also has three horizontal stripes? (CO is supposed to have Vertical stripes)

If so then there is an irreparable electronic failure in the print head or the the logic assay board or both. Sorry.

Compare to the expected Pro-1 nozzle check:

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/Manual/W/PRO-1 v1-1 series/EN/BG/Bg-Maintenance1300.html

The usual solution is a new print head.

If the problem is in the logic assay board then a new print head will not fix it. Maybe Canon Service Techs can tell which part has failed, but I cannot. I mention this because it appears to be a very, very rare occurrence. I don't know specifically for the Pro-1, but Service Manuals for other Canon printers instruct to replace both print head and logic assay board at the same time. I gues that cuts down on shop time and returns.

Moderator The Hat can help how to proceed from here.
Hello @stratman,
MBK and CO are looking alike, I wouldn't say there are three lines, it is more like a 1 centimetre line in the middle.
CO has those vertical lines when the print is fresh, but then it dries out and almost disappear.
The previous owner was using third party cartridges.
Thank you for your time, I really appreciate:)

Attachments

• PicsArt_01-31-10.15.42.jpg
    PicsArt_01-31-10.15.42.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 174

Anthonycano_2013

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pixma pro 1
The Pro 1 printer does not like anyone doing anything other than the normal everyday stuff, so cleaning the print head outside of the printer is not recommended, if the printer cant clean it itself, then the head should be replaced.

I have never known the (Co) to get a clog, in fact it’s impossible because the clear optimiser just doesn’t clog because it’s not ink, and if the (Co) nozzles are not printing properly then it’s an electrical problem, because you can’t fix any electrical issues, no matter how much cleaning you do..
Hello @The Hat,
I understand. So what do you recommend in this situation? Install a new print head would fix the problem, or should I contact canon for a farther diagnostic?
Thank you for your time:)

Attachments

• PicsArt_01-31-10.15.42.jpg
    PicsArt_01-31-10.15.42.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 186

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
So what do you recommend in this situation? Install a new print head would fix the problem, or should I contact canon for a farther diagnostic?
Contacting Canon is a total waste of time, the Pro 1 is no longer supported by them and they would tell you to buy a newer model, besides sending a printer back to Canon Service usually costs a small fortune to have it fixed.. (DoneThat and wore the Tee shirt)

If there is no change in the nozzle check output after several normal head cleans between resting periods, O’ never run deep head cleans because they use a frightful amount of ink, then the only alternative is to purchase a new print head (Not easy to source).

The other and maybe cheaper option would be to buy a second hand Pro 10 and dump the Pro 1, the Pro 10 uses the same inks, then you only problem would be, what to do with this huge paper weight.. Sorry..

P.S. it is worth saving the printer if you can…

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If there is no change in the nozzle check output after several normal head cleans between resting periods, ..., then the only alternative is to purchase a new print head
Do you believe that the straight line and uniformly lighter shaded MBK aberration is a clog?

As President Joe Biden likes to say: C'mon, man!

Anthonycano_2013

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pixma pro 1
Contacting Canon is a total waste of time, the Pro 1 is no longer supported by them and they would tell you to buy a newer model, besides sending a printer back to Canon Service usually costs a small fortune to have it fixed.. (DoneThat and wore the Tee shirt)

If there is no change in the nozzle check output after several normal head cleans between resting periods, O’ never run deep head cleans because they use a frightful amount of ink, then the only alternative is to purchase a new print head (Not easy to source).

The other and maybe cheaper option would be to buy a second hand Pro 10 and dump the Pro 1, the Pro 10 uses the same inks, then you only problem would be, what to do with this huge paper weight.. Sorry..

P.S. it is worth saving the printer if you can…
I see, so in this case it means that because it isn't a clog, and it is a mechanical problem I can still use it.
It may not be at 100% but 90% right?
I may be okay with it.
Thank you

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
because the CO has it too
Because CO uses MBK as its base to layer upon so you can visualize the CO. Whatever aberration in the standalone MBK swath, clog or electrical failure, is replicated in the CO swatch. In this case, classic irreparable electronic failure pattern.

It seemed to me you were suggesting OP do more head cleanings:
If there is no change in the nozzle check output after several normal head cleans between resting periods
I guess I didn't understand you properly. Usually I am the one softening the blow and you give it straight and short.

Plainly said, the print head, or logic assay board, or both are fecked. If it involves the logic assay board (very rare) then a just new print head will not fix. No way we know which is the problem for sure. Caveat emptor. Experience on the forum has been a new print head resolves this issue.

Either try a new print head or get a new printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I can still use it.
It may not be at 100% but 90% right?
Yes you can most definitely, the Glossy paper prints won’t be affected, but any colour prints or Black & White prints on matte paper will, and B&W prints on Glossy paper will also be ok..