How to remove PRO-1 printhead ?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
If I may add something ( disagreeing, just a bit, with @The Hat ;) ) CO can clog somehow, although it’s a very rare instance. You should know by now that all sort of rare instances happen to me. It wasn’t with a Pro1 but a Pro10s and not a proper clog either but a CO cart that developed a tiny hole between the bladder and the plastic frame where it’s bonded. Therefore, CO was leaking from that hole, regular ink flow to the printhead was interrupted and I got horizontal banding in the CO nozzle test. Issue solved replacing the bad cart with a good one.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
You should know by now that all sort of rare instances happen to me.
On the bright side... we've learned a lot from your experiences, especially "don't do that".

:lol::hugs

Anthonycano_2013

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pixma pro 1
Guys, you have no idea how much I appreciate your help, I will contact canon service for an estimate price to fix it.
Next step keep printing until the CO get replace and see how it goes, if it gets even worse than already is I'll purchase a new head from France, around 150 euros.
Does anyone have a guide to install it myself?
Thank you
I will keep you post.

Martin_1979

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Hello guys,

my first post...
I bought used Pro-1 few weeks ago and I'm facing B200 error :( ...already second time. First time I fixed it... unplugged printer from power tried to start several times, after several attempts, suddenly it started to work - was working just for 2 days and got B200 again.

I guess this time it won't be that easy, tried many times to unplug, wait and start, no luck.

I had no issues with prints, nozzle check pattern looked OK printed just few days before B200 error, no deep cleaning was needed. I also had to replace 9 cartridges, mostly with OEM inks (only one is non-OEM - black matte).
And I had to update firmware to most recent one to get Pro-1 recognized properly under win10.

Would you recommend replacing print head? (if it still can be ordered somewhere?) Or can I try anything else to save this one? Any advice would be appreciated....

This happens to me every time I buy more spare cartridges....printer just dies :(

Attachments

• Pro1_nozzle_check.jpg
    Pro1_nozzle_check.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 201

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Would you recommend replacing print head? (if it still can be ordered somewhere?) Or can I try anything else to save this one? Any advice would be appreciated....
Looking at your recent nozzle check, if it is you current one !, everything is in good order, so there would be no need to replace the print head because there’s nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell.

The B200 error has been cause by some other issues, as to what, it is hard to tell, but upgrading the firmware was a bad move, it never helps to do that, it can cause other issue to arise too, it has a tendency to work against and not for you.

Win 10 would work with the Pro 1 if given some time, after several re boots it would recognise the printer and then install the drivers, once the printer has been left on during the reboot.

Print heads for the Pro 1 are very difficult to obtain not to mention expensive, but in your case you might not need one, it’s possible the printer doesn’t like your cartridges setup, and thinks you’re trying to use non OEM cartridges. It has a live intelligent EPROM.

The problem is not with the chip, but with the carts, so turn on the printer and press the ink replacement button and remove all the carts and then turn the printer off and unplug from the wall, now leave it off for 30 minutes.

Now check the non OEM carts to see if the light sensor is positioned correctly, it must be centred and if it’s not then pull at it and move it back and forth till it’s pretty centred.

Here is a Pic with the light sensor visible (Just) it’s not a great Pic but it will do..
Cartridge 4.jpg
click to enlarge...
Plug in the printer and turn on, and you’ll find the B200 error has now gone, reinstall the cartridges one by one and then wait for the printer to rest before starting to print again.. Good luck..

Martin_1979

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
The problem is not with the chip, but with the carts, so turn on the printer and press the ink replacement button and remove all the carts and then turn the printer off and unplug from the wall, now leave it off for 30 minutes.

Thanks a lot for quick reply.

I forgot to mention that I'm getting B200 directly after startup (after few seconds power light flashing, then orange light + power light flashing), there is no noise as during regular printer start...also no possibility to open cartridge doors in normal way. So this won't be that easy...have to disassemble some parts of printer to get to the cartridges.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It helps to give us all the details when posting, and stops us giving out unnecessary information.
it’s possible the printer doesn’t like your cartridges setup, and thinks you’re trying to use non OEM cartridges. It has a live intelligent EPROM.
Now, listen to this bit, Don’t try to dissemble this printer, otherwise you may end up with a dead brick on your hands, you can’t just take bits off this printer and expect it to work again, because it most likely won’t.
Here is a procedure to help you open the ink tank doors without powering up the printer, do this with the printer plugged into the wall socket..

Attachments

• Canon Pro 1 Ink door open..pdf
    89.3 KB · Views: 251

Martin_1979

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
hmm,... I have a strong feeling there is missing something in my non-OEM cartridge, compared to OEM. And all my non-OEM cartridges look same.

I pretty sure I was able to use it for a while, printed several A4 photos. Do you think this is the problem now?

I still have original black-matte cartridge that I took out 2 weeks ago...it's not empty, should I try to reuse that just to find out whether my B200 is related to this non-OEM cartridge? Not sure if it's OK to change cartridges while printer is plugged & off....

Attachments

• IMG_20210209_115503.jpg
    IMG_20210209_115503.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 187