How to remove PRO-1 printhead ?

AttilaG

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma PRO-1
Thanks for the instructions and your valuable comments, I really appreciate it.
I'll keep you posted about the progress, ATM I'm still waiting for the new print head to be delivered.

AttilaG

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma PRO-1
Hi @The Hat ,

The package has arrived from France. I have put full cartridges into the slots where the ink level was below 50% (LGY,DGY,R,MBK). After turning the printer on the number of alternate flashes of white and yellow leds counted to 10, clearly indicating the B200 error. Also the same was shown on my computer. This prevented me from replacing the old print head as I couldn't get back the control over the printer and start the replacement procedure.

However...after many trials with the same result I removed all the ink cartridges, restarted the printer put the inks back when asked and now the B200 error is cleared. (propably not for long)
I managed to print out one nozzle check than stopped any activity.

Should I replace the print head now or the old one can still be saved?

I also noticed the black smudges disappeared - what could be the cause?

Thanks for your patience,
Attila

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 203

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Should I replace the print head now or the old one can still be saved?
Now that you’ve got control of the printer back I would exchange the print heads while you can, and remember to leave the head out of the package in your print room for an hour to bring it up to temperature, the current nozzle check is not looking good..
Dont forget to source a used Pro 10 for later..

warzazath

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
Hi everyone,

I bought the canon pro 1 one month ago and start using it a lot. After one print, all of the sudden I had a B200 error.

It was impossible to take back control of the printer. So I tried to dismantle the printer, now I have access to the cartdriges, I fill the yellow one as I was at 44.4g (maybe that was the issue but I only print in B&W) and the pipe are full of yellow there is no lack of it. I also have a cartbridge of GY full but it appear with a red cross when it was working but it didn't prevent me to print. The issue I think that I change the cartbridge with a chinese chip but forget to refill and it gave me a red cross, then I refilled still putting a red cross but I was able to print for 3 weeks.

Now I have access to the print head, how can I remove it? (it's stuck), do I have to let the plug when i'm doing that but with the print switch off, do I have to unplug? Do I have to power on?
If I try to clean the printhead, then I will lost a lot of ink, it's not a problem for me but what about the purge capacity?
Is it better to buy directly a new printhead?

I have to print a lot before christmas and I'm stuck.

Thank you for your help and sorry for my poor english.

AttilaG

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma PRO-1
Now that you’ve got control of the printer back I would exchange the print heads while you can, and remember to leave the head out of the package in your print room for an hour to bring it up to temperature, the current nozzle check is not looking good..
Dont forget to source a used Pro 10 for later..

I did everything exactly as you said and the replacement has been successful, the nozzle check picture looks now perfect. :ya
Printed two photos they also look good.
Without your help I definitely couldn't repair it so thanks again! :)

I'll keep in mind the Pro 10, probably looking for a used one.
I'm curious, are there any other printers you would recommend for photo and artwork printing which are not Canon but can produce the same quality or Canon is the best?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Without your help I definitely couldn't repair it so thanks again!
Thanks for the feedback and great news, well done.. :thumbsup
I bought the canon pro 1 one month ago and start using it a lot. After one print, all of the sudden I had a B200 error.
You’re in one Friggin mess so I’ve answer your post tomorrow..:caf

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
It was impossible to take back control of the printer
Hi @warzazath, I am having a problem following your confusing post, mostly I can’t figure out the state your printers in right now, so please don’t do any more diagnosing or any printing till we can ascertain and resolve your current situation.

Firstly what condition is your printer in now, can you power on the printer, does it report any errors, are the top and side covers still attached or is it still in pieces ?, I will need to know exactly the condition of the printer before giving any help or advice.. Can you post a nozzle check print here please..

fl_dutch

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Just encountered the next B200 error on my Pixma Pro-1, during a printing session for a customer (i'm a wedding photographer) :(. I was able to recover from it the last 2 times it occured. So I know how to handle it by disassembling, removing the cartridges and so on. The question is: buying a new print head or not (got a german source who have them in stock)? The print-count was not that high the last time i checked in december last year... (due to the pandemic only a few prints added to that during the year). Buying a used Pro-1 is also another option - just to use the rest of my color cartridges.

Since i like the 12 ink-cartridge design i'm also opting for the Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000, giving me the advantage of A2 prints and hopefully a more thought of technical design... I already thought of purchasing it after last year error, but then the pandemic hit.

Anyway i'll try to recover the Pro 1 again, hoping to do some last prints to empty the cartridges.

Any suggestions on what to do? New cartridge, used printer, new printer? Strongly appreciated :)

Last edited:

Anthonycano_2013

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pixma pro 1
My advice is to use only normal head cleans and not very often, (use patience) deep cleans are very wasteful of your ink and repeated deep cleans are harmful to the print head, so be warned.. Never run a system unless it is very necessary.. Keep in mind your waste ink cartridge..

I’m afraid the gloves are off when it comes to getting the photos looking right, I’m not a photographer and don’t do much quality Photo prints, but I’ll help as best I can.

From the previous photos you’ve posted it looks like you’re getting the effects called Bronzing, this happens when the inks reacts with certain paper surfaces, but gloss optimiser is supposed to supress or eliminated this, and it’s not. !

If you use Satin or Matte Photo paper Bronzing is mostly eliminated, but I suspect it’s the compatible inks your using that is causing this issue, OEM inks don’t suffer from Bronzing for two reasons, 1 is their ink quality and the other is the quality of their Gloss Optimiser.

The Pro 1 is a high class printer and should only be used with OEM inks, which of course happens to be the most expensive, but you get the quality and performance you wish for every time, unfortunately there are no shortcuts when it comes to perfection.

I have not seen or used the inks you showed, but there are better compatible inks out there that will come closer to OEM quality, but you are at a crossroads, because if you decide to get different or OEM inks, it will take a system flush to remove all the existing ink from your printer, that also uses 35% of the new ink to replenish the system. (Very Expensive)

All Canon Pro printers are expensive to run and the Pro 1 is probability the most expensive of all, but it also gives the most outstand results, again I would recommend a Pro 10 (New or second hand) because the running costs are more controllable and it’s easier to swap from one ink to another in an effort to get the best results.. the Pro 10’s results are also outstands..

Some of the photo guru’s here on nifty might be also be able to help or even suggest an alternative way for you to achieve better results and to eliminate the Bronzing you are getting, as I said I’m no expert when it comes to top quality photo printing..

Hope this helps..
This is the type of scale mentioned..
View attachment 10999
Hello @The Hat: finally I got the time to follow your steps, I did a cleaning cycle on all the nozzles, then a nuzzles test, but it was just the same as before. 24 hours later a cleaning to the nuzzles with the problem(MBK, C, R and CO), still the same as the very beginning, apparently is clogged. Very sad
I think Artur5 is right, unfortunately;)
Is it there anything that I still can do before buying a new print head? I would do the extra mile before getting there. I heard that you can recover the nuzzles by cleaning it manually with some formula, I don't know if that could work.
Could you advise what would be the next step to fix it?
Thank youIMG_20210130_171733.jpg

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Could you advise what would be the next step to fix it?
Am I correct in that the MBK has three horizontal stripes and that CO also has three horizontal stripes? (CO is supposed to have Vertical stripes)

If so then there is an irreparable electronic failure in the print head or the the logic assay board or both. Sorry.

Compare to the expected Pro-1 nozzle check:

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/Manual/W/PRO-1 v1-1 series/EN/BG/Bg-Maintenance1300.html

The usual solution is a new print head.

If the problem is in the logic assay board then a new print head will not fix it. Maybe Canon Service Techs can tell which part has failed, but I cannot. I mention this because it appears to be a very, very rare occurrence. I don't know specifically for the Pro-1, but Service Manuals for other Canon printers instruct to replace both print head and logic assay board at the same time. I gues that cuts down on shop time and returns.

Moderator The Hat can help how to proceed from here.