How to remove PRO-1 printhead ?

Yeenya

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma PRO-1, Prusa 3D
@stratman - When looking on physical printouts, I can't see any problems except the PKB where is nothing printed out. Those artefacts in attached PDFs are from scanning I would say.

I wrote to a local Canon authorized service and they offered printhead exchange, cleaning and calibraion for ~ 200EUR. Printhead alone was ~155EUR. I think, it is reasonable price if you need to change printhead with warranty. I like to know how things work inside. I am one of those who do not like to trash something if it can be repaired and used longer. This was reason I've asked if there is a chance to have the BB printer working, printing black ink.

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
That sounds reasonable, but I am afraid you will have to add a full set of carts.

Yeenya

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
That sounds reasonable, but I am afraid you will have to add a full set of carts.
I have home full set of unopened non-Canon OEM cartriges (not sure I can put web link to that web shop here). That's as well question, if for example I'll keep using original Canon inks in the working PRO-1 and use the OEM for the BB to try to free the black nozzle.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I wrote to a local Canon authorized service and they offered printhead exchange, cleaning and calibraion for ~ € 200.
A very good price, but beware..
Sending the printer to a Service Agent is one option, but there’s always a catch, you must take it there yourself, because a courier service will most likely manhandle the box and it usually ends up traveling on its side or worse upside down, the waste ink can go everywhere..

The print head replacement cost does not cover a new set of carts, because 35% of ink is consumed in the process, and you CAN’T have 3rd party carts installed during the actual Service.

The Pro 1 is unlike other printer because it has an active live memory chip inside it, and records all your actions, for instance if you remove the top cover without knowing what you’re doing the printer will not work again without another trip to the Service Agent.

It’s a great and usable printer just as long as you don’t interfere with the insides, but it drinks ink every time you turn it on and needs to be used regularity to get the best out of it, you’ll need to be selling your prints to afford it’s running costs, it’s not a user friendly printer, it’s a drunk basically that loves to waste your inks..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
not sure I can put web link to that web shop here
Yes, you can.

There are certain circumstances that the Moderator will not approve and delete it, but letting forum members know where you find useful refilling things is usually quite welcome.

Yeenya

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
A very good price, but beware..
Well, this did not came to my mind, that they could require to deliver the printer with cartriges in it. The did not mention this, I did not ask how it works. For me it is ~40km to the Service Agent's shop, I would not think to send it there, I would bring it on my own by car.

For that short time I am using this printer I can definately confirm, the printer driks a lot of ink.

From what you wrote, I have to be crazy to run it for private use to print out some A4/A3 posters for family members form my daughter's basketball matches or different activities. May be one day, I will be selling printouts. Of course, probably chaper would be to drive to a good photo shop and have it "developed" from USB stick there. Home I have full control over printout.

I'm just thinking, what to do with non-Canon cartriges I bought here. I have all 12 still packed. To the working one I will probably use only official Canon ones. How big problem it would be to print with mixed cartriges? Have some originals, some OEM or move from original to OEM. Or I will insert them in the BB one and try to print one test pattern once a day to try to unblock black.

One question, is it a good idea to open the printer and check waste tank and empty it if needed?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The Printer must have cartridges installed for servicing, but if the installed carts don’t have sufficient ink in them for a print head change then the Service Agent will install a brand new set to complete the task.

If you’re not selling your prints then it’s cheaper to use non Canon carts (3rd Party inks)

Again be careful because if you mix the two different carts, it will take some time to get back to OEM inks because the CISS line hold about 30% of ink and the only way to get that out is by printing (A lot)

Your firmware version is 2.01 so you won’t be able to tell how full your waste ink cart is, this information is blocked by Canon, but they will set it to zero if you get the new replacement head.

As I said if you open the printer you may render it unusable, there is a way to do it properly, (PM me) but you still can’t get to the waste ink cartridge, Special tools needed, and even if you could, you still can’t reset the waste ink counter, nor can you get a new replacement cart, so that job is pointless..

Post the vender where you got the compatible carts from..

Yeenya

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Post the vender where you got the compatible carts from..
Actually, it is posted. I added link under word "here" in my previous response. It is one of the local e-shops, they do not have English version of their shop nor they send abroad I would say.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Actually, it is posted. I added link under word "here" in my previous response.
Didn't detect that. It used to be that a hypertext link embedded in a word was obvious but since the server software was upgraded, this function is broken for the reader of the text. This malfunction has been brought to the attention of management but no correction yet.

they do not have English version
Google translate is a wonderful tool:

https://translate.google.com/transl....gigaprint.cz/tiskarna/canon-pixma-pro-1.html
FYI: While the link says Google Translate - not my doing - it is in fact the link to an English translation of the link you posted.

Now there is another PITA with the new server software: goofy handling of user posted links. Please stop this nonsense.

TomaszSkop

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
Good evening All. I'm new to the community. It's a long shot as this thread may well be dead since there's been no new posts added since March. Printhead in my Pro1 was leaking ink and I know some of you had the same problem. Just wondered if I could get a faulty head from anybody. I'm based in UK and will cover postage. If the repair is successful and I think it's very likely I will write a detailed instruction with photos explaining the procedure which is fairly simple.

Latest posts