How to refill / reset a Canon Pixma MX860 cartridge?

nhendrix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi, Tom: I think that question is for me (vallejoboy is still trying to get his resetter problem resolved).
No, I have not had a chance to see how accurate the estimations are, but SubMan says they are not
so precise. I am going to be happy just to see approximations so that I can keep my cartridges topped
up with out having to poke around inside everytime I want to make sure I have enough ink. -Nick

vallejoboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The rep I was talking to brought up a good point: It could be the ink cartridge that is faulty. Well, its an OEM ink cartridge that has never been refilled or reset before. So my questions is has anybody tried resetting a cartridge and it later ends up not being recognized by the printer...is it possible?

Tom...
As mentioned before the ink levels on the printer or on your computer are a mere estimate but my guess would be that it is pretty close in estimating because if I'm not mistaken it works by counting how many pages/cleaning(anything that uses ink) and it know that each cartridge has a specific amount of ink and it was probably measured that this much ink will last this much page/cleaning cycles. This estimate though gets skewed because we don't really know how much ink we put in the cartridge when we refill, think about how much ink is in the sponge not just the reservoir. Just as an example, my cyan and yellow ink are low as reported by my printer, so I removed it to see and the reservoir is empty but the sponge is soaked so I'm guessing the printer is counting the ink in the sponge. (Do not quote me on what I just said because they are just guesses and things I thought I read about somewhere here :))

drbenjamin

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just wanted to add in my success story - I got a CLI-221 resetter from inkjetreset.com, using the forum discount. Did my first Durchstich refill tonight (magenta cartridge), reset the cartridge and bingo: ink levels show full! Thanks to this forum, I appreciate all the advice.

twcinnh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx89* (*=?)
Tom...
As mentioned before the ink levels on the printer or on your computer are a mere estimate but my guess would be that it is pretty close in estimating because if I'm not mistaken it works by counting how many pages/cleaning(anything that uses ink) and it know that each cartridge has a specific amount of ink and it was probably measured that this much ink will last this much page/cleaning cycles. This estimate though gets skewed because we don't really know how much ink we put in the cartridge when we refill, think about how much ink is in the sponge not just the reservoir. Just as an example, my cyan and yellow ink are low as reported by my printer, so I removed it to see and the reservoir is empty but the sponge is soaked so I'm guessing the printer is counting the ink in the sponge. (Do not quote me on what I just said because they are just guesses and things I thought I read about somewhere here :))
Thanks for this info. I have a full set of refilled OEM cartridges that are reported as full. (I've been refilling cartridges over 10 years now.) From observing the cartridge windows the magenta now shows about half full and the pigmented black is down about 1/3. I look forward to hearing observations from others. Myself, I'm not being shy about printing since I'd like to see the ink monitor working reliably.

I suppose an alternative is inkmon (http://www.inkmon.org/). Has anyone tried that?

Best regards,

Tom C

liona

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I join this forum today itself.
I have canon ip 4680 printer. I would like if anybody help me how to reset these cartridge with software

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To Liona

The ip4680 uses PGI-820 and CLI-821 cartridges. You can't reset these cartridges with software - you need to buy a hardware resetter. I don't know where you can get them {Edit - for the 820/821} retail, but they do exist - see this link from the Chinese wholesalers ... http://megacolor.en.alibaba.com/pro...30/Chip_resetter_for_Canon_PGI820_CLI821.html

The identical model for 520/521 sells on Ebay in the UK for 15.99, but I have not used it so can't say if it is any good.

---

To Twccinh

The ink monitor on my ip4300 seems to have only four levels for my refilled & reset cartridges ...

1. Shows full until the ink level in the ink chamber falls to the halfway mark.
2. Shows 2/3 full while the ink level in the ink chamber is between zero and halfway.
3. Shows 1/3 full while the ink is being extracted out of the sponge.
4. Shows empty when it is completely empty (sponge drained).

I've not measured this scientifically, but it is something like that.

Since it is not possible to be 100% confident that the refilled carts contain as much ink as a genuine original, it is unsafe to wait for the "Empty" message before taking action. I try to refill mine when the ink monitor shows 1/3 (ink chamber empty).

Ian

gonediesel

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I received my resetter from Fillserv yesterday and just as vallejoboy's resetter mine does not work. I don't even get a light up of the LED. GD

gonediesel

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just to add. I tried my resetter from Fillserv on several OEM cartridges. Vallejoboy did you even get any LED activity?

vallejoboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
gonediesel said:
Just to add. I tried my resetter from Fillserv on several OEM cartridges. Vallejoboy did you even get any LED activity?
gonediesel...

I get LED activity. Here is a video I posted previously and the flashing LED has not stayed fully lit even after numerous attempt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLfDEz52BDc
Just keep trying maybe you will get lucky but I lost hope and just ordered from inkjetreset.com. I'm still in the process of talking to Fillserv CS for a refund. Hopefully they accept it. I have not received a response in 3 days.:(

vallejoboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Update...

I received a replacement for my CLI-221 Resetter from Fillserv but the replacement still did not reset the cartridge which I initially tried on the first one . I ordered another CLI-221 resetter from inkjetreset.com and i tried to reset the cartridge I was initially trying to reset but it still did not reset and so i tried a different one and it worked.

Conclusion: the resetter from Fillserv, not only did it not work but it seems that it also damaged the chip, now I have a disabled catridge that can't be reset. :( I don't want to try other cartridge on the fillserv resetter because I'm afraid it might damage that as well.
The reseter from inkjetreset.com on the other hand worked flawlessly on the first try but it was not able to restore my damaged cartridge.