How to refill / reset a Canon Pixma MX860 cartridge?

SubMan683

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Nick
Your resetter has two screws under the bottom silver label and looks just like the picture below. So you can change out your battery if needed. You may want to wait to "explore" on your unit because if something went wrong refillbay.com may not exchange it for you if they see the bottom sticker was pulled off. It's good for about 1,000 resets assuming a fresh battery was installed.

Photo from InkjetReset.com
5698_qe221-2.jpg

mapsy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all, sorry I had not visited earlier. As SubMan mentioned we sell these resetters and if you did get defective one, we have a full replacement policy that lasts 6 months. We have had only one since we started selling the QE that was defective. So it is a very reliable resetter.
As for Auto Reset Chips, the ones mentioned by twcinnh, are obviously the Asian chips. These take a while before they catch up to the low levels, but the ones we carry do tell you when the cartridge is empty. You just need to be patient, it takes a while to get to a low enough level for them to respond. They are not a cadillac chip but the price is excellent. We sell them already attached to a refillable cartridge for $36.50 as compared to the cadillac chips from RKS Technik, which sell for $57 just the chips. The difference is more than noticeable though because you can mix any combination of compatible carts, oem carts, etc and still use the rks chips. Additionally they respond exactly like the original canon chips.
The Asian chips need to be used all together as a set, they need to be either removed all at once when you refill one, or you need to refill all of them. According to the manufacturer, for them to work well, they must be set into the printer at the same time. Thus even if you are only refilling one, you need to take them all out and put them back in at the same time. This resets all of them to full (which for an asian chip is actually 90%) and then after you print a few more times, the ink levels will drop to where they should be. Hope that helps.

Please remember we have always offered special prices to members of this forum. We feel the inkjet forum is one of the most valuable places on the net. We need to keep the planet green, not fill the landfills with cartridges.

Our cli-8/pgi-5 resetters sell now for $19.79 on ebay and ecrater, but to forum members you can get one for $18
We also now stock the cli-221 resetter and it sells for $32 on ebay and to forum members just $28.
both include first class mail in the USA.

If I can answer any questions for you, please ask away. We do our best to stay on top of what is happening in the world of canon printers. We learn lots from our customers and from folks here and we do our best to not only provide first rate customer service, but to find the things you need.

Best to everyone here,
Michele
inkjetreset.com
inkjetreset.blogspot.com

mapsy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just a quick note, the picture subman has posted is one of our photographs and it is not a picture of the circuit board for a cli-8 unit, this is the circuit board of the new cli-221 units. But as subman indicates you will see something that looks like this. The screws are in the same place and it has the same battery and color of board.

nhendrix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
SubMan683 said:
Nick
Your resetter has two screws under the bottom silver label... It's good for about 1,000 resets assuming a fresh battery was installed.
That is great to know. So it looks like we are all getting the same resetter. Thanks!

vallejoboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Here is a video of my chip resetter in action but ofcourse mine doesn't work...:lol: Im currently in the process of trying to talk to fillserv's CS but oh boy do they run lean( that's how they describe themselves in reponse to me complaint email.) I will probably end up buying a different one that for sure works, also that special forum member price is really enticing. I only wish they had that when I ordered couple weeks ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLfDEz52BDc

SubMan683

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Let us know if fillserv.com gives you a working replacement. Having extra OEM cartridges is good if you have to clean your print head or purge cartridges. Good Luck!

d1hamby

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Does any one know if these work on the CLI-8 cartridges too? It would be nice if I only had to buy one restter.

twcinnh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx89* (*=?)
nhendrix said:
vallejoboy: here is my simple video of the resetter I got today. No
blinking lights, just a steady light held for 3-5 seconds. Keep
us posted on your progress. -Nick
Vallejoboy,

Have you seen it report accurate ink levels in the cartridges? The last resetter I got is called 'Professionsal' and Redsetter, but it's been a few days and ink levels are still full. I've printed enough and checked cartridges to see the levels have fallen.

Regards,

Tom C