How to print on the back of photo paper

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Why should anyone want to print on the back of photo paper? To make greeting cards!

Ive tried different combinations, pigment and dye ink, for Epson and Canon. Papers by Epson and Sihl. But the back of photo papers are simply not printable. The ink takes hours to dry and then it still can be rubbed of easily.
And all papers seem to have the same kind of coating on the back.

Of course there is double sided paper, but only from expensive brands. And Ilford, for instance, asks double the price for their double sided paper.

Writing with a bal pen on it isnt easy and doesnt look good. The only solution I can think of is using a felt pen that is made for writing on CDs.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
This link covers the basics of the coatings used on inkjet paper. On the third slide, note the "back coat" on the non-printed side of the paper - it is similar to the "control coat", which keeps the ink from being drawn into the paper fibers. This coating is usually polyethylene, which will not absorb ink (as you have already noted). It also has poor adhesion to dried ink, so even if you are careful and don't smear the printed ink while it drys, it will easily rub off.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Lucas,

You might give Label Ocean 230 gsm photo paper a try. It is available in Germany/ebay. It is printable on the back, as it is not PE coated, However: the paper on the back is not for photo's and it is matte, good for simple graphics and text, not high quality photo's. It is really cheap.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
What about Staples double sided matte? When on sale, it's less than 10 cents per sheet (or even free with rebates). Works for me!

Wayne

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I've used Staples photo supreme double sided matte paper for greeting cards for many years. It was recently available for $3 after rebates for the 50 sheet package. Originally I found it free after rebates. it then went up to $1 and then $2. At $3 it is still a great bargain. By signing up for emailed weekly ads you will then know when the special pricing occurs.

Costco originally sold Epson Glossy photo paper before replacing it with their own brand glossy photo paper. The Epson paper was quite good and could be printed on the back matte side as well. It had the very faint printed words "Epson" on the back side in a diagonal pattern. It was printed so lightly that I did use it for greeting cards as the imprint on the back nearly disappeared when printed by a photo or text.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
You can get incredible deals on this paper on EBAY. I currently have 50 boxes of 50 sheets. Got it for about $100.00 Shipped.

I use it for a bunch of Donation Work I do for my local grade school's PTA activities. School budgets have plummeted! Some one has to help!

Joe

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If there really is a need to have print on the back of your photo paper
the only answer to the problem is another sheet of paper.

Get some self adhesive paper the same size as the photo paper and stick that onto the back
of the photo paper by way of feeding it through a laminator (Cold) and you will have the perfect solution..:)

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Thanks guys for the useful tips.

I will certainly try the Ocean paper, as this can be obtained easily in Europe. That doesnt go for the Staples product, but the tip is useful for our American members.

Interesting is the use of a sticker in the same size of the paper, I will try that too.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If you intend to fold over your greeting cards for better display purposes then I would recommend you fold
both your adhesive and photo papers separately first before attempting to stick both of them together.. :)

Mwhyte

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx512
Use fine sand paper on the back of your photo paper. The ink attaches to the fine scratches you created. Works great.