How to Keep Photo Ink Cartridge Working?

zark

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
How do you keep a used HP photo ink cartridge working? Or how long can you let them set before the nozzles clog? I only plan to print a few photos then may not print for months. Will it still work if I take it out of the printer and sit it on the shelf? Need some advice. Thanks..

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Get something called a storage clip that seals the printhead. Easy way is to buy one from a refilling business.
If you're putting it away for months then I'd also say that you should also seal the ventholes which are located around the label on the ice cube size cartridges. Ink can dry out from there too.

MrTwister

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Good way to keep photo ink cartridge working is to print any photos at least once a week.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Storing a cart for months is usually a problem. To minimize evaporation, put the cart in a clip as mentioned above, then seal it tightly by wrapping and rolling it tightly in Saran Wrap... the thicker the better. Store in a cool place. I've had carts last 6-7 months this way.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
The storage clip is the best way, and also when trying to keep them for a long time it helps to put them in a ziplock bag. Keeps it from evaporating dry.