How good is the Epson C88+? i plan to pick one up

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have sold 6 of these in my store...customers are generally satisfied with this low-end, low-use printer, although a couple have had problems with compatibles.
Choose the better quality compatibles and you should be able to run the printer cheaply. Alternately, if you plan on printing a lot, I'd go with a recent, inexpensive model like the Canon ip3300 or ip3500. These have a larger black cartridge than the C88, and with a bit of practice, you will be able to refill the Canon cartridges cheaply

warlock110

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Manuchau said:
I have sold 6 of these in my store...customers are generally satisfied with this low-end, low-use printer, although a couple have had problems with compatibles.
Choose the better quality compatibles and you should be able to run the printer cheaply. Alternately, if you plan on printing a lot, I'd go with a recent, inexpensive model like the Canon ip3300 or ip3500. These have a larger black cartridge than the C88, and with a bit of practice, you will be able to refill the Canon cartridges cheaply
I've had huge problem with refilling (mess up my HP printer doing refills) and it gets messy, i just buy compatible cartrige now, i figure it'll be a little easier than busting out the kits all the time.

Which ink does the IP3300 use? i heard it's got some sort of chips on there, how does it work?

Say the IP3300 new comes with it's set of ink, after it's drain i just remove the chip from that set and slap on the none chip cart that meritline is selling?

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
If you do decide to get a Canon ip3300 or ip3500 your best option is to refill the OEM cartridges. Bulk refill ink is much cheaper than compatible prefilled carts. Ip3300 or ip3500 uses a pigmented black PGI5 (25 ml of ink) and 3 CLI8 (15 ml x 3) of color. These cartridges have chips on them but they can be easily refilled without resetting them. In my opinion it is a lot easier to refill these carts than refilling Epson OEM carts. You should have no problem learning how to refill these Canon OEM carts. If you want to use prefilled after market carts then you have to transfer the chips from your OEM carts to the after market carts. In doing that the chip can be damaged and becomes defective. If you are successful in refilling Canon OEM carts your cost of printing will be very cheap.

warlock110

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
If you do decide to get a Canon ip3300 or ip3500 your best option is to refill the OEM cartridges. Bulk refill ink is much cheaper than compatible prefilled carts. Ip3300 or ip3500 uses a pigmented black PGI5 (25 ml of ink) and 3 CLI8 (15 ml x 3) of color. These cartridges have chips on them but they can be easily refilled without resetting them. In my opinion it is a lot easier to refill these carts than refilling Epson OEM carts. You should have no problem learning how to refill these Canon OEM carts. If you want to use prefilled after market carts then you have to transfer the chips from your OEM carts to the after market carts. In doing that the chip can be damaged and becomes defective. If you are successful in refilling Canon OEM carts your cost of printing will be very cheap.
is there any guide that shows how to refill for the IP3500? i saw the Epson C88 and that one has pretty cheap ink (prefilled cart). I check it out and it seems to have chips too, not sure how that one works either.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Epson just won a suit and there are no more compatable carts availabe. That includes prefilled compatable carts. Your experience with refilling HP carts will not apply to Canon carts. They are very easy. Every vendor has instructions. Lots of information on this forum about bci-6 carts and the newer chipped carts. They all refill the same way. There are many little tricks to keeping your workplace relatively neat when refilling. Educate yourself by reading through the threads on sealing the refill hole and generally about refilling carts.

warlock110

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If i was to pick up a canon IP3500 or 4500, where should i buy the refill ink and the gear to do it? i read the guide (german translated)
and it seems that it's not too bad. However i have no clue where i'm gonna buy the ink/gear to do it.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
fotofreek said:
Epson just won a suit and there are no more compatable carts available
... in the USA...

*light tap on fotofreek's wrist.. USA != everywhere*