How can Hobbicolors supply only one set of dye inks for all Canons?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Grandad35 said:
That's why most profile targets contain so many colors - for example here are the 918 colors used by my spectro.
What do you mean by "spectro"? What do you do with it? When I look at something like that (and also the one posted by mikling), I just see a random assortment of colors with no rhyme or reason. I wonder, why are the colors in that particular pattern as opposed to an ordered gradation? I like the color bars I created here because I know what the colors are even if I cannot distinguish them:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
While it is true that the Pro 9000 is a color printer. One of the acid tests for a accurate color printing is actually Black and White printing. It is all too easy for our eyes and brains to readjust to relative color. I guess nature made it that way so that we could identify the same items whether it is sunrise, noon or sunset or by a fire or candle and now LED light.

It's like square wave testing on some electronics that never encounter square waves. It reveals a lot even though it was not designed to be used that way.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I think you make a very good point. However, I'm afraid most black and white printouts look black and white to me. I have to show them to my wife or son to get an accurate read on them.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I have often wondered about partial color blindness and whether color fidelity is of significance and I imagine it does still does to a degree. The way I look at it is that if color blindness is like a filter, then when we are viewing the real object through this filter we keep this in our memory. If it is reproduced, would this filter not still be in place and thus the image should look like the real object as well? I am not color blind so I can't really say for sure what the effect is.

But as long as the image properly evokes a memory isn't that what really counts?

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
About 1 in 10 men have some form of color blindness. Very few women are color blind. Very few man has perfect color vision. Most women on the other hand have no problems with colors. I always consult with my wife for the colors I printed. When I do side by side comparison of color photos I will get more objective comments from women than from men.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
mikling said:
I have often wondered about partial color blindness and whether color fidelity is of significance and I imagine it does still does to a degree. The way I look at it is that if color blindness is like a filter, then when we are viewing the real object through this filter we keep this in our memory. If it is reproduced, would this filter not still be in place and thus the image should look like the real object as well? I am not color blind so I can't really say for sure what the effect is.

But as long as the image properly evokes a memory isn't that what really counts?
I think you have an accurate impression of what color blindness is but the problem is when someone expects me to react a certain way to colors and I cannot tell how to react because I cannot identify the colors. For example, Grandad's spreadsheet in post #8 has some graphs comparing Inktec and OEM inks and I cannot tell them apart. Another problem is that when I see something like an org chart that has color blocks in it, I have no idea how many different colors are on the chart, let alone, which ones go with each other. My first question is always, "How many colors are on this chart?".

My kind of color blindness would be something like if you were to look through a green filter.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
mikling said:

In my case, it's about taking and printing images that are pleasing to others. If there is a color cast in the neutral tones, I can't usually see it, but my family sure can.

I always figured that if I had to have a physical defect, color blindness is about as benign as it gets. I can't tell if the clothes that I wear clash, so my wife buys neutral colors that go with anything. Picking strawberries is more difficult than for normal people, as I have to look for the shapes instead of seeing the red jump out at me. The world may not be as vibrant for me as it is for others, but I don't know any different, so it's not a problem. If there wasn't someone to tell me that I couldn't see all of the colors, I would never know.

Did you ever wonder whether the image formed in your brain when you look at something is the same as that formed in someone else's brain when looking at the same subject? How can we ever know? Maybe that's why we like different tastes and smells - they probably don't register the same to all of us, just like colors.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
One advantage of my particular type of color blindness is that I can see tomato worms on a tomato plant very easily whereas normally sighted people find them very difficult to find. I was told that the sort of camoflage that the Army uses on their vehicles is ineffective for color blind people too.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Grandad35 said:
Did you ever wonder whether the image formed in your brain when you look at something is the same as that formed in someone else's brain when looking at the same subject? How can we ever know? Maybe that's why we like different tastes and smells - they probably don't register the same to all of us, just like colors.
I have had that very thought many times - is say PURPLE to me the same to everyone else. Guess there are some tests that can determine what stimulus the eye sees and if it is the same for others.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
on30trainman said:
Grandad35 said:
I have had that very thought many times - is say PURPLE to me the same to everyone else. Guess there are some tests that can determine what stimulus the eye sees and if it is the same for others.
You realize this is getting very philosophical here and it is getting close to understanding what shared reality and its related concepts are all about. This even encompasses the whole concept of mathematics and our own existence.

Have you ever thought that maybe everyone else is color blind and you are uniquely gifted. Don't laugh too loud because you see it has happened before. If you are contrary to what the general consensus says then you are wrong. But when you think of it, how does the general consensus determine that they are correct? They can't.

Even the whole concept of scientific testing is taken to task because we only look for results that we think we understand and ignore what we don't understand....

Tomorrow I leave to check out the kitchen that I built last year. Hopefully, the termites have not taken it down yet. This stuff is too heavy for my mind right now. Hopefully I can get some HTML coding done while I am away.