How best to store a singly used printhead??

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I recently changed a printhead in my Canon i960, but it didn't need it. After servicing the purge unit, the old head works fine. BUT... I used the new head once in an attempt to clear the problem...!

I'd like to restore the lightly used head so I can be prepared in the future when the old head finally bites the dust.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how best to preserve the lightly used printhead?? I still have the original packaging.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Clean it as good as you can and seal it the way dust won't come in

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Clean it with distilled water and put in airtight container.

You can also use some distilled water to make a small damp paper towel and pour some alcohol on it too.
Put it inside the container to keep moisture level above normal and the alcohol helps to make sure bacteria will not grow over long storage period.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Place it in the orange print head holder of the original packaging, let a few drops of glycerin on the pickup discs. Wrap it in a poly bag, make sure it's airtight.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
panos said:
Place it in the orange print head holder of the original packaging, let a few drops of glycerin on the pickup discs. Wrap it in a poly bag, make sure it's airtight.
I like this idea.
When opening a new Canon printhead it seems that's what they use. The nozzle side looks to be moistened with a glycerin-type substance, also.
I don't know if vacuum-packing with a Food Saver machine would have any benefit.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The glycerin must be diluted with some distilled water and alcohol, otherwise it won't penetrate the nozzles. Pure glycerin is very thick.

penmore

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Useful thread - I want to store my old print head as that wasn't the problem with my printer :rolleyes:

Peter