How bad are aftermarket clear refillable cartridges compared to OEM?

troy14

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hey everyone, after deciding against cutting my printer for a CIS (because I do not want to leave the lid open) I am now in a debate.

My question is the title: Are the aftermarket clear canon cartridges that bad??? Reading about them compared to OEM is one thing, I understand OEM will be the best. I am a college student who will print a lot of color powerpoint slides, quality isn't that important to me as long as they look like what they're supposed to.

I was thinking of getting 2 sets of these http://www.inkproducts.com/ink-store441/product.php?productid=198&page=1 or something equivalent from eBay (to have one set as a backup) with the easy refill bottles (no syringes I want to have as little mess as possible and easiest refilling)...

My other option is to just return this MX892 (I got it on sale for $130!) and get the Epson Workforce 845 with a CIS system and forget about it. I really love the way this MX892 printer looks, operates, and the controls. The Epson Workforce is bigger, uglier, I don't like the all-touch screen controls... but it holds 500 sheets of paper, and Epson with a CIS might mean trouble free hassle free reliability....

I want low, low maintenance printing for hundreds of sheets of paper.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
troy14
Aftermarket refillable cartridges do work well and thats all that can be said for them,
now longevity and reliability thats a different kettle of fish.

If you print occasionally then they may be worth it and youre not depending on them,
but if you intend to do a lot of work with your printer (And you do) the only reliable cartridge to use has to be OEM (2 sets).

There is no substitute for OEM quality cartridges they will last as long as the printer itself,
you can pick up a couple of sets of empty OEM cartridges rather than purchasing new ones.

If you think for one moment that getting a CISS printer whether its Epson or Canon will be trouble and hassle free or even reliable
then think again there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Refilling your OEM cartridges will give you more control over your printing less hassle and yes more reliability
simply because its more personal (hands on) and not automatic so far less can go wrong.

But first you must have the proper cartridges, inks, resetter, with plenty of patience to read and learn how to refill properly
with no shortcuts and you will be rewarded with trouble free printing from then on.

It doesnt take more than 10 minutes to read up on refilling and then another ten minutes to try it out for yourself
and Id even suggest using water if you dont want to practice with inks.

It will be the most productive hour youve ever had not to mention the pleasure and fun you get out of it,
so please stick with refilling and leave the CISS ideas with guys that havent got the refill bug just yet..