Homemade DIY solution

Freebird1963

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
WF 1100 (x2) Epson 3800 R2880
I have done some reading on making my own clog buster solution. Just not wanting to buy and store glycerine and stuff around with my little kids around all the time.
What I would like to do is make a little, put it in to a set of refillables and maybe once a month run a couple of head cleanings or fake print a full color image.
I know ISO 91% is a no no. Heard ammonia and water but that was for head soaking.
Anyone have a home made solution that could be used like that ? Or just keep buying the clog buster stuff ?
I run 2 WF 1100 one dye sub ink the other pigment ink, and a R2880 with dye sub ink tho I might go to photo inks. THis one is the one I have clogging issues with the most tho. And a Pro 3800.
Thanks for the help and feedback
Free

W. Fisher

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epsons, Canons, Brother.
I wouldn't use ammonia as it reacts badly with copper if moisture is present. I believe much of what is in the print head is copper-based that has been etched.

Specifics: https://www.researchgate.net/post/Is_copper_suitable_in_ammonia_system

I've used ISO 91% and maybe stronger in a recent clog on a 3880. It's still working too, but it took maybe two weeks of fighting the clog with some carts filled with everything from Piezo Flush to alcohol dilutions. I did add a little bit of some old Kodak Photoflo as a wetting agent and carrier. My recent encounter with some old gooey ink when I put in a new carriage that broke took a lot of ISO 91% to soften up the goo and flush it out of the capping station drain area as well as around the print head retaining frame.

Yesterday, I had a Canon plug up the black and used water only and an ultrasonic cleaner, but it isn't as unclogged as I'd like. I might let it sit overnight in something, maybe some old head cleaner.

Sometimes these nozzle clogs take a long time of sitting in solutions to unclog - like a week. The ultrasonic may help speed it up as some of these new inks are water-fast and take some effort get to dissolve. Find an old print and drop some solution on it and see if the ink will run and maybe use it on the head.

W.F.