http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN03kUERQhU

shortly i will need to refill my ip4300 cartridges and
i am also inclined to use this method.

hth

canton

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
This refilling method has an issue that the needle of your syringe has to puncture through the bottom layer of the sponge. Over time the integrity of the bottom layer of the sponge may be damaged to a point to cause problems. This is something to think about if you choose to refill that way.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Tin Ho said:
This refilling method has an issue that the needle of your syringe has to puncture through the bottom layer of the sponge. Over time the integrity of the bottom layer of the sponge may be damaged to a point to cause problems. This is something to think about if you choose to refill that way.
There was a guy who already punctured the sponge several hundred times in a row and not a single drop of ink came out and normally this is done only in let's say every few weeks (for a moderate user) giving the sponge the time to fill up the cavity completely, so the method must be very reliable and since I'm not going to fill the cartridge more then 10-15 times, this must not be a problem. There is also another variety of this method: the declined "Durchstich"method, where the needle is pierced into the sponge from above and then making a 45 degree declination to the bottom into the ink reservoir, maybe this will be even more reliable. I'm not sure how many times defcon2k could refill one cartridge until leakage happened.

For Stratman, I forgot there is an english-based instruction on how to refill the BCI-6/CLI-8 cartridges with the Durchstich-method here:

http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=1830

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thank you to Pharmacist and canton for the great links and information.

The Durchstich method looks very easy. I'm just wondering why ink does not leak out with the unclosed refill hole on the lower/bottom portion of the cartridge. The Druckerchannel.de post said they were able to refill 5 times without any dripping or malfunction of the sponge (due to multiple punctures of the sponge) and cartridge.

Just curious, why not just drill the hole on the upper side of the cartridge (same side as the original hole they instruct on) so that you wouldn't have to pierce the sponge at all? For that matter, another video linked to the video you posted showed a non-drill method of making a hole on the top of the cartridge over the spongeless side using needle-nose pliers and then filling the hole with a hot glue gun. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyBxa0R2yik&mode=related&search=)

It's a bit confusing with so many different methods. Since I print on Cd/DVD's, I want a method that won't interfer with the printing (as I've read some of the screws will do that are used to close the fill hole) and doesn't leak. So, I'm intrigued by the Durchstich method and wait to hear of your experience.

Thank you.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Stratman,

Don't make a hole at the upper side horizontally and then piercing through the wall separating the ink chamber and the sponge chamber: NO, NO, NO !!! This would cause your ink to leak away immediately through the ink outlet, since air can be sucked into the ink compartment making the ink level to drop rapidly. This would be the same as letting the refill open using the drill method in the ink compartment. Be aware !!!

Your suggestion of making a hole at the upper side is right, but only if you made a 45 degrees declination towards the hole underneath, between the ink and the sponge compartment. You have to puncture the sponge, as I have mentioned before.

If done well, the Durchstich method is completely safe. I've already done this with the photo-magenta BCI-6 tank. Don't mess with rusty screws or messy glue guns etc.: with those methods the ink outlet has to be sealed very well. If not the ink will leak away as long as the hole above the ink compartment is not tightly sealed. And you can't leave the cartridge left on its side as with the Durchstich method or you risk the ink will flow away through this same hole you are going to fill the ink in......

No, I already tried all the classical methods to fill these types of cartridge and I find the Durchstich method the most elegant and the easiest method to refill the Canon cartridges. No messy fingers and a minimum spillage of ink.

canton

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hi stratman,
the author of the no-drill-method video you linked to in your
post is defcon2k himself. it is not the method he is using
and i haven't read him recommend such method here. what
we now refer to as durchstich method, he calls 'piercing'
or 'richman' method as posted here:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=9279#p9279

hi pharmacist,
though in durchstich it says that closing the drilled hole isn't
needed, do you see anything adverse if i put an adhesive
tape over the hole? thanks for your valued opinion.

canton

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
pharmacist and canton:

Great info guys! Thank you. The video of defcon2k refilling all 5 carts in one session in about 7 minutes was impressive, especially considering there was essentially no mess. The whole 9 page thread was good reading and very informative, all the people posting their theoretical pros and cons.

This durchstich method looks easy, novel, and somewhat elegant solution with less mess. Cool.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Canton,

actually you can put adhesive tape over the hole without problems, but not necessary at all. Maybe if you print only occasionally I would recommend to close the opening to prevent excessive evaporation, but why should you, since the compartment above the sponge is open as well ? This opening is necessary for the inktank to draw air into the cart to get a equilibrium, otherwise no ink will flow towards the printhead. And don't forget: Durchstich means piercing in german !

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The reason the air vent at the top of the cartridge is different than leaving an opening somewhere else is that the normal air vent has a serpentine path with three wells that allow the cartridge to "breathe" during normal daily atmospheric pressure changes without exchanging any air in the cartridge. See this link:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1976

canton

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
thank you pharmacist and ghwellsjr for sharing
your respected views.