Hobbicolor questions

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Chickens:

One possible smudging reasons is drying time of ink on the paper. Dye based ink dries vey fast, usually much faster than pigmented ink. Pigments are particles and it takes longer to penetrate the paper to dry. Dye ink is fluid. It dries alomst instantly. If your black text is highlighted by colors, the dye ink and pigmented ink will slightly overlap with each other. If one ink is still wet before it is overlaped by the other smudging will occur. For best result you should print black text first. Print the color highlight next when the text dries. I have done it with light colors only and overlap over black texts as highlighter. The result is just fantastic. The colors are transparent over black text. But it takes two passes to print though.

chickens

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
the thing is...i printed the same page before with oem inks and it works perfectly fine.....so..i'm really puzzled about the replacement inks i'm trying...and btw i'm using black pigment, not pigmented ink...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
What is it you are printing out that then smudges?

Canon's Black Pigment PGI-5 ink is used in specific situations only. Otherwise it is Dye-based Black CLI-8 ink which is used and can smudge.

PGI-5 Pigment Black Ink is used ONLY For:
- Plain Paper Test (monochrome and grey scale)
- Envelopes
- Transparencies
- Duplex Printing On Plain Paper
- Camera Direct Printing on Plain Paper

CLI-8 Dye-Based Color Inks are used anytime color is printed and is used exclusively for:
- All Photo Paper types (including when Duplex printing)
- High Resolution Paper
- T-shirt Transfers
- CD-R's
- All Borderless Printing, on both PhotoPaper and Plain Paper

chickens

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Some of my lecture slides, in powerpoint format....has textbox... black text and filled colour(maybe light yellow/orange/pink etc) .... when printed out in color form, I do understand that canon will use the black text ink instead of composite black as i've printed out similar stuff with the oem ink and its as crisp as without the filled colour. So recently with this hobbicolor ink, the text smeared really badly...

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
My understanding is that Hobbicolors has two ink sets for the PGI-5/CLI-8, the one with the PGI-5 with the pigment black costing a bit more than the other (see eBay listings). I believe that the cheaper one is a blend for the PGI-5. Which one did you purchase?

chickens

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
the more expensive one (black pigment ink.... not pigmented black ink...)...so understand that pigment ink and pigmented is is slightly different in the sense that pigmented is added with more dye.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Pleas keep in mind: that PMT-5BK is 100 % pigmenTed black and PMD-5BK is a hybrid pigmenteD black (dye + pigment). Allways look very carefully what the inkset code is mentioning. I find the pictures near the bottles sometimes very confusing: It often states pigmented black ink, but the text on the right says: pigment ink.......

So for example the code 5MD means: 5 colours (cyan/magenta/yellow/photoblack and text black), M Medium size (2 oz/bottle) and D for pigmenteD black (mixture dye + pigment black).

chickens

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm using PMT-5BK ...... but it did made my prints more crisp and sharper, thats the beauty of that ink....the only problem now is the smearing when this ink is printed together with color fills (black text highlighted in word and printed out)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
chickens said:
I'm using PMT-5BK ...... but it did made my prints more crisp and sharper, thats the beauty of that ink....the only problem now is the smearing when this ink is printed together with color fills (black text highlighted in word and printed out)
It is my understanding that anytime color CLI-8 ink is used on plain paper that NO pigmented black PGI-5 ink is used. In this case, dye-based CLI-8 black ink is used for black text. See my earlier post on how Canon lays down "Black" for various print jobs in printers using CLI-8 and PGI-5 cartridges.

It would seem that your black text smears because it is using the dye-based black CLI-8 cartridge when printing black text and color whatever (text/graphics) on the same page.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Before you can conclude the supplied pigment ink is really pigment ink, just make a small streak with this ink on normal paper with a cottons earstick and let it dry. Then put a dot of water on it and wait several minutes. If it runs, then Hobbicolors might have supplied you with dye or pigmentend ink instead of pure pigment ink. If so, you can claim for a new bottle.

Just make