Hobbicolor questions

chickens

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi there, I just started refilling my cartridges for ip4200. But my cyan ink is still full(oem), so I only refilled magenta, yellow and black cli-8 at the moment. When I try to print a test photo, the pictures came out slightly more reddish when compared to the old one printed using oem inks only (i purposely print the same photo I have printed before). When I try to print out to paper for objects with grey shades and grey tones, the objects looked reddish too (like warm feeling, not enough green). I refilled right following exact instructions from the given one. What is the problem? Could it be because of the cyan oem ink that I didn't refill yet?

Another thing is, I've purchased the ink to refill black pigment cartridge which is their pigment ink, not pigmented ink but I haven't refilled yet. I would like to know for hobbicolors users out there, have you ever experienced clogs with this ink when not in use for let's say, a week?

Thanks a lot.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The best thing to do is to remove the cyan ink from the original cartridge and refill it with the Hobbicolors ink so that all the ink has been replaced by Hobbicolors. Mixing ink from different sources is very likely to be the cause of unwanted colour shifts. I did it with my BCI-6 cartridges for my Canon i9950. What I did was to -instead of discarding the ink- mix it with the Hobbicolor ink (was about 5 % of the total volume in the ink bottle from Hobbicolors) and then use this little bit mixed up ink (which is about 95 % Hobbicolors and 5 % Canon, so eventual small colour shifts caused by differences in colour are almost reduced to zero) to refill the Canon cartridges. For dye ink as BCI-6 and CLI-8 this won't be a problem. But be careful with mixing different types of pigmented inks: Those inks contains ionized compounds to stabilise the pigment particles into the solution. When mixing with other pigmented inks which counters/neutralizing those ionized compounds, this can lead to sudden or delayed precipitation of the pigment particles causing serious clogging problems.

chickens

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The thing is...I bought a cyan oem ink right before I ordered Hobbicolors. Actually I intended to continue with oem inks because canon in my country has this recycle program where after you have finished the inks and you send back the carts to them, they will send you discount coupons to purchase new inks. But lately when I find out that this practice has been put to a halt by canon, I got really annoyed and frustrated that I begin searching for the best 3rd party ink. Hence, I've ordered Hobbicolors and surprised they arrive very quickly. Now...my cyan ink is still full. I guess I need to finish using the cyan before replacing them with the refill inks. I do not want to mix off the Hobbicolors :p. Need to patiently finish using the oem cyan lol.

Also, another thing is, I experience ink pooling where I can see tiny ink dots on the pictures, using the same settings as before for the canon oem printed pic, but for the oem case, never occured such thing. Any idea? I'm using canon's glossy photo paper.... should I change to other brands?

chickens

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've just sent emails to Hobbicolors and quickly I got a few replies. Dave said that he has tested before mixing oem with their colours and it did not cause such problem. Any idea why my problem happens? :(

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Try the following setting when printing on glossy photo paper

Quality setting: high or manual (fine=1)
Color Adjustment: manual, then set color balance as follows: Cyan + 18, Magenta -15, Yellow -10, Black 0.
Also enable ICM

Try this setting and print a testphoto with B/W gradient to test if there is any colour cast on your picture.

chickens

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
no hope :S ...still with the reddish effect. and i realise there are some ink pooling like small dots of the ink particle.... any idea?

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have asked this question before, but have yet to see an answer. How about it gang . . . someone out there must be able to help me out.

Does anyone know who the manufacturer of Hobbicolors ink is? I get the impression that Hobbicolors is just the name of a retail distributor who labels the ink that he buys from a manufacturer.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
binkie said:
Does anyone know who the manufacturer of Hobbicolors ink is? I get the impression that Hobbicolors is just the name of a retail distributor who labels the ink that he buys from a manufacturer.
Your statement is correct and, as far as I know, none of the third party ink suppliers will tell you who makes their ink. Gotta trust that if you find an ink you like, the supplier will continue buying from the same source - but who knows. When Hobbicolors introduced the UW8 series, he told us about it and stated some of the differences.

Steve W.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Chickens,
I have been using Hobbicolors inks (both versions - BCI-6 and UW-8) for well over a year and have not seen any of the pooling you talk about. Most of the prints have been on Kirkland paper - both Swiss and US flavors. Only problem was with the BCI-6 inks - prints had a greenish tinge that was corrected with a paper/ink profile using Profile Prism.

Steve W.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
on30trainman said:
...snip... as far as I know, none of the third party ink suppliers will tell you who makes their ink.
There are various sources for bulk ink who state that they use Formulabs, IS, OCP and Lyson inks.