Help with Canon color output

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
dvdit said:
....snip.... I am still going to try as many profile as I can. If all fails at least I now know how to get back to square one.
You're missing the point of icc profiles - to get accurate color you need to have a custom profile generated for your particular printer/ink/paper combination (yes, each printer/print head is slightly different). The odds of finding a profile for another printer/ink/paper combination that fixes your red tint problem is rather slim. Here is one such source where you can get a custom profile for one printer/ink/paper combination for $30. However, before going down that road be sure to learn something about color management - this link gives a good start.

Once you switch to a non-OEM ink, plan on using profiles to get good color. Remember that profiles generated on one ink will usually be worthless on another ink, so plan on sticking with whatever ink you select. You should also consider how much you trust the ink supplier to keep their inks consistent over time - that's why many of us use only quality ink from known ink formulators. If they won't tell you who makes the ink, beware.

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Grandad35 said:
dvdit said:
....snip.... I am still going to try as many profile as I can. If all fails at least I now know how to get back to square one.
You're missing the point of icc profiles - to get accurate color you need to have a custom profile generated for your particular printer/ink/paper combination (yes, each printer/print head is slightly different). The odds of finding a profile for another printer/ink/paper combination that fixes your red tint problem is rather slim. Here is one such source where you can get a custom profile for one printer/ink/paper combination for $30. However, before going down that road be sure to learn something about color management - this link gives a good start.

Once you switch to a non-OEM ink, plan on using profiles to get good color. Remember that profiles generated on one ink will usually be worthless on another ink, so plan on sticking with whatever ink you select. You should also consider how much you trust the ink supplier to keep their inks consistent over time - that's why many of us use only quality ink from known ink formulators. If they won't tell you who makes the ink, beware.
I know icc profiles are made for one printer/ink/paper combo to get accurate colors. Where I was wrong is assuming the profiles made for the ip5200, while won't be accurate for my use, they would help correct the problem I was having, which was way too much red and the brownish colors I see in the grayscale ramps. While $60 for two icc profiles it is not much, I rather spend it on software. I hear good things about Qimage but I am not ready to spend $90 for it now being a newbie. I will learn more before I start spending money. While we are on the subject, any software that are free or under $30 that will help improve photo printing?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
dvdit said:
....snip.... I hear good things about Qimage but I am not ready to spend $90 for it now being a newbie. I will learn more before I start spending money. While we are on the subject, any software that are free or under $30 that will help improve photo printing?
I use Qimage for printing, and can recommend it highly. It has full color management capabilities and is much easier to use than Photoshop, especially when printing multiple images. However, you still need custom profiles to get accurate color - it doesn't perform magic. You can try a free trial version to see if its worth the money for you.

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
^^^Thanks. Looks like I need to consider a custom profile first then.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
dvdit said:
Having read all of your posts carefully I would say without a dough that getting a new profile isnt going to help you at all.

There is something else wrong in your setup because frankly you cant have the same colour problems in two different printers;
its like saying that you have two Mondays in every week.

Print out a nozzle check on both your printers and post them up for us to see..

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
dvdit said:
Having read all of your posts carefully I would say without a dough that getting a new profile isnt going to help you at all.

There is something else wrong in your setup because frankly you cant have the same colour problems in two different printers;
its like saying that you have two Mondays in every week.

Print out a nozzle check on both your printers and post them up for us to see..
I picked up a Canon MG6120, display model for $40 from Staples today, what a bargain. Apparently Staples was clearing MG6120 for $57.50 and the MG5220 for $17.50. No online sale so check your nearest B&M staples. Finished setting it up but ink is out.:( I was able to print a nozzel check only. Boy, this AIO is slow though. Since I will be going the refill route, I will order some IS ink (I beleive this is the best ink for Canon ??) and I will post a scan of the nozzle of both printers (ip4700 and ip5200) and even of the MG6120 if it need be. Just to rule out setup or some other issue not related to the printers. It will be a week or more before I can upload the scan.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
I don't have a custom profile set up yet but here is how I print from Photoshop Elements:

1) More Options (from Print dialogue window)
2) Color Handling = Printer Manages Colors; Image Space: sRGB IEC1966-2.1; Rendering Intent = Perceptual
3) Printer Preferences...
Main Tab - Media Type = Glossy Photo Paper; Print Quality = High; Color/Intensity = Manual - Color Correction = None - all settings = 0
Effects Tab - All unchecked

What prints looks very close to my uncalibrated LCD monitor, albeit slightly darker but that's just the nature of images displayed more brightly on the monitor than what's printed.

I have to admit, though, that this wasn't always the case. I had a bear of a time getting colors to match but I think that it had to do with multiple attempts over the years to manually do color matching between monitor and printer. Only after starting with a fresh install of Windows XP, did the colors match more closely.

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Here is a scan of all three printers ...

9265_canon_scan_0002.jpg

9265_canon_scan_0001.jpg

9265_canon_scan_0003.jpg

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Replying to your post #38 since now that you have finally posted your nozzle check print.

Try reading my post # 25 again where I mentioned that you have electrical failure to your printhead and that is what's causing your color variance.

Looking at your check print, the nozzles that dispenses ink for the finer cyan & magenta is expectionally TOO light in color. Generally the bottom part cyan & magenta nozzle check print is lighter than the top row but NOT so light in color. Your printhead has electrical fault whereby it's not sending signal for certain group of nozzles to dispense ink. As such, the nozzle check print for those rows are appearing much lighter/way too light than what it should be. Your photo printing will be affected and causing the significant color shift.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
dvdit
Thank you for posting your nozzle checks and looking at them is clear to see that your printers are all outputting the correct colours.

I hear good things about Qimage but I am not ready to spend $90 for it now being a newbie. I will learn more before I start spending money. While we are on the subject, any software that are free or under $30 that will help improve photo printing?
The next thing youre going to need is proper editing software for your photos and as Grandad35 suggested
you should try Qimage it is reputed to be very good.

There is also no need to spend any money at this stage download the software free just to get you started.

You can use Word pad or Write for your text and picture documents as well
but dont try any colour adjustments in these two applications.

When its time to print alter the print setup for the type of paper youre going to use and nothing else,
then just hit the print button and the printer will do the rest of the set-up for you.. :)