Help with Canon color output

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
If it is a color management issue all the colors printed will look funny. The op said his CLI-221-BK is nearly full while all other color inks are much consumed. The op did not say anything wrong with colors. I have been burnt before from yellow being lighter than normal. It was a clog in the yellow nozzles. Why not print a grey scale image with density ranging from 0 to at least 2.0. That will tell if the photo black nozzles are clogged. The medium needs to be set to any of the photo papers.

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
dvdit said:
I will continue to investigate fuhrer.
The fuhrer is dead. Cyanide in a bunker, weasel shite that he was.

It makes no sense where the images are stored in how they are printed on how that would affect results. Digital data is digital data wherever it comes from. What matters is the printer and all the software used to print the images. What application are you using to print the photographs? Is it different than the one used when you printed from your Powershot?

Why you would continue to print over 200 photos while obtaining poor results? Or were you misstating that some of the over 200 photos were poor and others were not?

What you need to do is sort things out properly.

1) Are you using the proper inks in each cartridge?
2) Is there a malfunction with the printer?
3) Is there a problem with the image software - corrupted files or improper settings?
4) Are the printer settings OK?
5) Are you using the wrong printer profile?
6) Is it your paper?
7) Is there something else in the computer augmenting/altering the process.
8) Is your vision affected?

If you have been successful, one way or another, in printing out relatively accurate colors then most of the list above can be crossed off as the problem (unless there is a freakish intermittent problem).

I suggest you completely uninstall, reboot and then reinstall the printer and its drivers. Do not change anything at all. Leave everything at default. Do not try different printer profiles yet. Try printing again. If the print is still poor, try a different application to print the photo. You could try uninstalling, rebooting and then reinstalling that application as well. But, it might be worth it to try a different printing application.

You could also copy a known "problem" image or two onto a disk or flash drive and try printing them on a different computer/printer at a friend's or at a big box store that sells printers. Take your paper with you too.
Thanks, I got my daily dose of laughter from your "fuhrer" comment. I printed over 200 pictures trying to get the colors right by playing around with different Canon profiles, color/intensity settings. In the end, I can get accurate color only if I print with Canon own default profiles for the Canon Photo Glossy Paper I am using but only if I print images or pictures from the web. I get too much red if I print photos stores in my hard drive. I know it makes no sense, but that is what it is.

To answer your questions listed above:

1. Yes, no mistake there. OEM ink cartridges filled with the correct IS ink from Precision Ink. Fantastic ink, BTW. I will only use this ink going forward.
2. No malfunction. I may have failed to mention this but I have three Canon printers, IP4700, IP5200, and MG6120. All there connected to three different Dell workstations using Windows XP pro. All have red cast issue to a varying degree, IP5200 being the most offender, followed by IP4700 and then MG6120.
3. I am using Canon Easy photo and microsoft's print wizard. Since I am having the same problem with all three, I doubt it is a software issue.
4. Yes, as far as I can tell. Besides after I reinstalled the driver, I left everything aft default, and only choose the type of paper and quality under printing preferences.
5. NO. see #4.
6. I am using Canon's OEM photo glossy paper.
7. I don't know. If that was the case, I would expect every picture printed would have the offensive red cast as well. I searched the web for some explanation and apparently I am not the only one complaining about too much red in Canon printers. Most found the solution by disabling the Canon driver and using PS or Qimage to print. That apparently solves the issue.
8. No, not at all.

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
If it is a color management issue all the colors printed will look funny. The op said his CLI-221-BK is nearly full while all other color inks are much consumed. The op did not say anything wrong with colors. I have been burnt before from yellow being lighter than normal. It was a clog in the yellow nozzles. Why not print a grey scale image with density ranging from 0 to at least 2.0. That will tell if the photo black nozzles are clogged. The medium needs to be set to any of the photo papers.
The black ink have been used and I have refilled once already when I started printing images from the web. So that rules out the black issue. I still would like to print a grey scale image. Got link ?

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
Are the pictures being captured in Adobe RGB and printed as sRGB or vice versa?
Do photo labs have a way to compensate for that ? Because photos came out fine when printed at my local drug store came out fine.

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
I have been in my bunker programming scripts and HTML for my revised web site which is partly up and under construction.
I've been buried in that so in taking a break. In quickly going over what is happening, it sounds like it could be a color space issue. Are the pictures being captured in Adobe RGB and printed as sRGB or vice versa?. If the pics are coming out ok in powershot direct printing then it manages the color space itself and bypasses the color settings on the PC. So it sounds like there is a color setting that was set up somewhere on the PC that manages or adjusts the digital information on the image. To correct this, can be cumbersome if you don't know where to look and sometimes a reinstall of the OS is as easy as trying fixing it.
check the settings and report back.
Oh, I forgot to mention this earlier. What I said was, Canon support directed me to their Powershot to download and print a few photos from that site to see if I experience the red push, and when I printed some, none of them have any. The images came out just as I see them on my computer. No powershot camera was involved here. All were printed using the PC.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
dvdit said:
stratman said:
dvdit said:
I will continue to investigate fuhrer.

It makes no sense where the images are stored in how they are printed on how that would affect results. Digital data is digital data wherever it comes from. What matters is the printer and all the software used to print the images. What application are you using to print the photographs? Is it different than the one used when you printed from your Powershot?

Why you would continue to print over 200 photos while obtaining poor results? Or were you misstating that some of the over 200 photos were poor and others were not?

3) Is there a problem with the image software - corrupted files or improper settings?
6) Is it your paper?

If you have been successful, one way or another, in printing out relatively accurate colors then most of the list above can be crossed off as the problem (unless there is a freakish intermittent problem).

I suggest you completely uninstall, reboot and then reinstall the printer and its drivers. Do not change anything at all. Leave everything at default. Do not try different printer profiles yet. Try printing again. If the print is still poor, try a different application to print the photo. You could try uninstalling, rebooting and then reinstalling that application as well. But, it might be worth it to try a different printing application.

You could also copy a known "problem" image or two onto a disk or flash drive and try printing them on a different computer/printer at a friend's or at a big box store that sells printers. Take your paper with you too.
Thanks, I got my daily dose of laughter from your "fuhrer" comment. I printed over 200 pictures trying to get the colors right by playing around with different Canon profiles, color/intensity settings. In the end, I can get accurate color only if I print with Canon own default profiles for the Canon Photo Glossy Paper I am using but only if I print images or pictures from the web. I get too much red if I print photos stores in my hard drive. I know it makes no sense, but that is what it is.

1. Yes, no mistake there. OEM ink cartridges filled with the correct IS ink from Precision Ink. Fantastic ink, BTW. I will only use this ink going forward.
2. No malfunction. I may have failed to mention this but I have three Canon printers, IP4700, IP5200, and MG6120. All there connected to three different Dell workstations using Windows XP pro. All have red cast issue to a varying degree, IP5200 being the most offender, followed by IP4700 and then MG6120.
3. I am using Canon Easy photo and microsoft's print wizard. Since I am having the same problem with all three, I doubt it is a software issue.
4. Yes, as far as I can tell. Besides after I reinstalled the driver, I left everything aft default, and only choose the type of paper and quality under printing preferences.
5. NO. see #4.
7. I don't know. If that was the case, I would expect every picture printed would have the offensive red cast as well. I searched the web for some explanation and apparently I am not the only one complaining about too much red in Canon printers. Most found the solution by disabling the Canon driver and using PS or Qimage to print. That apparently solves the issue.
8. No, not at all.
Your story is ever-changing. First it was the black that is gray. Now it is the red that is too red. Now you tell us you have 3 workstations and 3 printers. Canon Paper works fine as long as you don't print an image from your hard drive? Parsing out your issues and your setup makes things way too difficult to help because there may be important data held back.

Are you networking (LAN) all your printer and desktops? What precisely is your setup. How are you printing an image? Be specific with the details of your equipment, software used and your work flow when you print an image. Example: Computer A using Operating System XYZ has image on internal/external hard drive Q is printed on Printer P connected Directly To Computer A's USB port/Across Network using Printing Software K with settings set to Default/Custom.

Is every printer using the same batch of ink? When did this problem first occur and what were you doing? Did you long ago make a settings change somewhere in the Operating System or application software when using your previous bulk ink?

I would agree that not all three workstations and printers should give poor results unless you screwed up something - the same thing - on each printer or workstation or are using a LAN to print from the same hard drive that has a software setting issue.

Your story doesn't add up with what you've told us so far.

Things to do: Make sure all ink tanks have ink. Print a nozzle check and post on the thread. Post an image(s) that demonstrates your issue(s) as well. Try different paper.

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
dvdit said:
stratman said:

6) Is it your paper?

5. NO. see #4.
8. No, not at all.
Your story is ever-changing. First it was the black that is gray. Now it is the red that is too red. Now you tell us you have 3 workstations and 3 printers. Canon Paper works fine as long as you don't print an image from your hard drive? Parsing out your issues and your setup makes things way too difficult to help because there may be important data held back.

Are you networking (LAN) all your printer and desktops? What precisely is your setup. How are you printing an image? Be specific with the details of your equipment, software used and your work flow when you print an image. Example: Computer A using Operating System XYZ has image on internal/external hard drive Q is printed on Printer P connected Directly To Computer A's USB port/Across Network using Printing Software K with settings set to Default/Custom.

Is every printer using the same batch of ink? When did this problem first occur and what were you doing? Did you long ago make a settings change somewhere in the Operating System or application software when using your previous bulk ink?

I would agree that not all three workstations and printers should give poor results unless you screwed up something - the same thing - on each printer or workstation or are using a LAN to print from the same hard drive that has a software setting issue.

Your story doesn't add up with what you've told us so far.

Things to do: Make sure all ink tanks have ink. Print a nozzle check and post on the thread. Post an image(s) that demonstrates your issue(s) as well. Try different paper.
No my story never changed when it comes to a batch of photos taken at a wedding and stored in my hard drive. I still get too much red and blacks are still coming out as grey when printed using Canon's Easy photo or Microsft's wizard, no matter which printer or computer I use. But, I DON'T HAVE any red issues with my MG6120 using IS ink when I print sample images from Canon's powershot website. I have a slight red and yellow push with the IP4700 which uses G&G ink when I print those same sample images, but reducing magenta and yellow seems resolve that issue quite a bit. I am not going to waste money on any more paper since I am using a Canon OEM Photo glossy paper and I have tons of supply. Besides, if paper was an issue, wouldn't the problem be on all printed images and not a certain ones. I appreciate your help but It seems I will never be able to find out what the issue actually is since the problem occurs on a batch of photos on my hard drive and it seems like I am contradicting myself when I post here because the issue is does not appear on downloaded sample images from Canon. Sorry to confuse you all, I know my issue does not make sense and weird but that is the problem I am having and it is what it is. Since I have posted about my problem in other threads, it makes it difficult for some to follow as I may have posted recent development in one and not the other. I have already posted nozzle check for all printers, the MG6120 is new and yes, all printers have ink.