Help! I need somebody! Help! Not just anybody! Heeeeellllllpppppp!

gullyc

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Everyone-

I recently found this forum while searching for what printer I should buy. I have been reading the forum for a few days but haven't seen the advice I am looking for. I hope this doesn't offend anyone but I would like to ask for a recommendation on which printer to buy. Please have mercy on a newbie like me and help me out. Here is my situation:

Been using a Dell AIO 940 and liked it OK. I have been refilling the cartridges but found that you can only refill them so many times before they just stop working. The print head is contained in these cartridges and probably is made to wear out frequently so you have to buy new ones. Problem is they are about 30-40 bucks a shot. From what I have read here, everyone seems to like Canon so I would like to ask which Canon may best suit my needs. I would like a printer/scanner in 1 with refillable carts, separate color inks and no print heads in the carts. I would really love to get one for 100-150 bucks and possibly buy a continuous flow ink system later. May all you inkjet Gods smile and lay your sage advice on me.

Much appreciated.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
gullyc said:
Hi Everyone-

I recently found this forum while searching for what printer I should buy. I have been reading the forum for a few days but haven't seen the advice I am looking for. I hope this doesn't offend anyone but I would like to ask for a recommendation on which printer to buy. Please have mercy on a newbie like me and help me out. Here is my situation:

Been using a Dell AIO 940 and liked it OK. I have been refilling the cartridges but found that you can only refill them so many times before they just stop working. The print head is contained in these cartridges and probably is made to wear out frequently so you have to buy new ones. Problem is they are about 30-40 bucks a shot. From what I have read here, everyone seems to like Canon so I would like to ask which Canon may best suit my needs. I would like a printer/scanner in 1 with refillable carts, separate color inks and no print heads in the carts. I would really love to get one for 100-150 bucks and possibly buy a continuous flow ink system later. May all you inkjet Gods smile and lay your sage advice on me.

Much appreciated.
Get yourself Canon MP series (Inkjet Multifunctionals) printer:
http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Multifunctionals/Inkjet/index.asp

Select by features you need and price :)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
At present probably the best MP would be the MP610... It has the same printhead as the iP4500 which means essentially it's the same as an iP5300, or iP4500 but with extra bits added on.

If you really want some features then wait for the MX850 which is due out (well in the UK) any day now.. It includes a printserver plus all the features of an MP610 but with an ADF too.. :) Consumables are all the same and I'm hoping to get a review done on the CIS kit from Rihac (in Oz) sometime in the next month all being well...

gullyc

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Smile-

I bought a Canon MP470 and just opened it up. Unless I'm crazy, it looks like the print heads are integrated into the cartridge. Is this right? Isn't this a problem for cartridge cost and lifetime?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
gullyc said:
Smile-

I bought a Canon MP470 and just opened it up. Unless I'm crazy, it looks like the print heads are integrated into the cartridge. Is this right? Isn't this a problem for cartridge cost and lifetime?
Yes your printer uses integrated cartridges. The lifetime of integrate cartridge is enough to handle at least 5 refills. Some last longer some clog very fast. They are made disposable.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Gullyc,... In your first post you made a very good description of what you want and it was very logical and correct. Then out of the blue you go a buy a printer that has just the opposite. What made you do that. If you can still take it back, do it now.

Go to the Canon Web site and go to the eStore, Select printers> All-in-One and you will find the Canon MP510 which uses the CLI-8 and PGI-5 ink carts which are separate colors and no integrated printhead. It is on Sale for $99 and the shipping is free.

Here is why,... You can refill the ink carts with built ink heads, but only a few times. Then you have to go pay Canon for a new set of carts. I do not know of anyway to clean those ink carts without possible damage to the printhead. They hold very little ink compaired to the CLI-8, PGI-5 ink carts.

The CLI-8, PGI-5 ink carts can be refill many more times than the other carts, and once they become "Sluggish" they can be washed out of all old ink, dried, and return to refilling again. The printhead for this printer is much more durable and it you take care of it, it will last for years. Can went away from this type of ink cart years ago, but because of the success that HP has had with their ink marketing, Canon things they were forced to "Try it too". It is the most expensive way to use ink in a printer as you basically through away the critical printhead function after 2 or 3 refills. At 5 ml of ink per color, that is about just 1-2 refills of a CLI-8. If a printhead gets clogged because you didn't use it, you can take out the ink carts and clean the head. You can't do that with the PG-40 /CL-31 ink carts.

gullyc

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Trigger-

I bought that printer on the recommendation of someone earlier in this thread. I went to Canon's eshop and selected the MP series printer that fit for me. I looked to see if the print heads were integrated in the cartridges but no info there on that. I assumed they were all non-integrated based on the recommendation. Anyway, I don't want to offend anyone, this is no big deal. I will send it back and get the MP510. I bought the MP470 at Newegg and should have no trouble doing the RMA. No worries.

gullyc

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Trigger-

Can you send me the link for the mp510 for 99 bucks. I can't seem to find it. Thanks.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
gullyc said:
Trigger-

I bought that printer on the recommendation of someone earlier in this thread. I went to Canon's eshop and selected the MP series printer that fit for me. I looked to see if the print heads were integrated in the cartridges but no info there on that. I assumed they were all non-integrated based on the recommendation. Anyway, I don't want to offend anyone, this is no big deal. I will send it back and get the MP510. I bought the MP470 at Newegg and should have no trouble doing the RMA. No worries.
Ah... to be a real pedant you actually just looked at the list of MP's and probably got hot foot and couldn't help the burning sensation in your wallet and figured what the hey... Not that I'm judging, as I believe my mother would be on here sharper than a knife blade, listing every infraction I've ever made on that count (we'd be here a while!). :p

Anyways, it sounds like you've sorted yourself out and if the 510 is anything like the MP500 you'll be laughing, not least because the 510 drops the wasteful CLI-8BK cartridge which barely gets used anyways.. :)

Either way.. Let us know how it works out :)