1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: A Basic Question on Linen Paper?
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Health & Safety and 3D Printing.

Discussion in '3D Printers & 3D Printing' started by Redbrickman, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Dec 9, 2017
    Nifty

Nifty Printer Master Administrator

Printer Model:
    CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
    Great point @berttheghost !

We're subjected to all kinds of risk all the time. It's just a question of proper and educated risk management. Like someone smoking cigarettes that then complains about the health hazards of 3D printing in PLA.

Everyone has different risk assessment, risk tolerance, and risk management. Some people think driving over the speed limit is too risky, others feel the reward is worth the risk and speed up.

I have my printer in my tiny office that's usually closed and not really ventilated at all. I'm probably taking a bit more of a risk than if it was in the garage, but I like the close accessibility. More risk, but IMO, worth the reward.

2. Dec 9, 2017
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon Rule in My House plus 3D
    @berttheghost, Personally I reckon you should lighten up on the potential risks associated with been anywhere near 3D printers.

I am also a user of these same 3D printers and except there’re are risks with everything in life and this is no exception, I take my health as serious as the next guy, and I’m not afraid to stand by what I’m promoting.

As far as the risks are concerned, they have not been proven and until they are no one should take them very seriously, and I will continue to use and promote the 3D printer despite your disapproval, O’ and thank you for your concerns...
    P.S. I do use my 3D printer in a well ventilated area... :)

3. Jun 12, 2018
    Nifty

Printer Model:
    CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
    Some interesting stuff in this video:

Redbrickman and FryingSaucer like this.
  4. Jun 12, 2018
    Redbrickman

Redbrickman Printer Master

Printer Model:
    MB5150
    I've read loads of articles on the 3D printer particle issue and I'm agreeing with him that the hazard does exists. How dangerous is debatable, however anything you can do to eliminate part of the risk is surely worthwile. The one disadvantage cited by several people is the draught affecting the print. I think the airflow path and speed need careful tweaking to extract enough fumes but not to cause a draught on the print bed.

Filtering is not a perfect solution either for the nano particles - on one paper I read that even the HEPA type filters do not deal effectively with all the 3D printer nanoparticles.

It's something I intend to do when the printer goes to it's new home in the man cave :)

A cheap and cheerful enclosure can be made by using some of the building board insulation (foam board with foil sides) to make the enclosure, with an acrylic front for viewing/access. It's also light so can be lifted off the printer if doing maintenance.

The Hat and Nifty like this.
  5. Jun 12, 2018
    Nifty

Printer Model:
    CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
    Yup, very well stated!

It really comes down to risk tolerance / risk management... and maybe even personal health / sensitivities.

I'm probably the worst-case situation. Tiny office, printer right next to me, I'm in my office all day / every day.

Part of me thinks I should err on the side of caution and move, enclose, vent, etc. my printer... but the lazy / convenience side of me says "Meh... you'll be fine!" :rolleyes:

That said, if I was printing in ABS all the time vs. PLA relatively rarely, I'd take a very different approach.

6. Jun 12, 2018
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon Rule in My House plus 3D
    I originally had my printer in my computer room while using ABS and got the odd headache from it, but my son told me to get it the hell out, so now its in my shed and running PLA, and ventilation is not a problem in there.

If I had to enclose my printers in a near sealed box to use them, I would not enjoy printing anymore, and probably stop using them altogether, and now if I get the odd odour from the fumes then I reckon it’s worth the risk.

Unlike most I start up the printers and within ten minutes I vacate the shed and leave them to their own devices, and if I had to babysit the printers while they were running, I’d probably fall a sleep with boredom...:hu

On rare occasions I can still get the odd ball of fur... :oops: