Health & Safety and 3D Printing.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have played around with most of the things you mentioned, that are considered dangerous now, O’ you forgot to mention mercury and I have suffered little or no ill effects from everything, it’s the things that your least expect will kill you, like the local number 10 bus coming around that corner.. :eek:
I’m 70 next year and who’s complaining, I gota go sometime... :plbb :thumbsup :lol:
P.S. Maybe I've still got time to make a two colour Urn for me ashes...:gig

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
:yuckyuck

70? More proof that only the good die young. :D

RichardM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Anet A2
70 proof sounds like a good Single Malt, it takes years to mature..
When I was a sprog my first Saturday job was helping my dad maintain some lorries, grinding off the edge of brake shoes to prevent squeaking was a job I used to do on a very large grindstone with no guard, no safety glasses and if I was lucky, a lovely bacon sandwich, the steaming lard oozing out of the doorstep cut bread.. Oh heaven
Later in life joined the CEGB as an Instrument Technician (won't say how long ago that was but when I returned to the UK a feeew years ago and went to renew my credentials (Legal requirement these days if you play with 'lecy) found out my City & Guilds had been abandoned and henceforth renamed as ElectroTechnical .. or something alaong those lines .. but back to the plot, whenever a sensor needed calibrating or replacing we would proceed to said replacement area (could take some time finding correct thermocouple in a twenty acre power station believe me) But once found hack back the insulation with hammer and screwdriver to access said sensor (asbestos insulation naturally). Important to say the CEGB were hot (for the 70s on H&S), went on serious courses re Chlorine Gas proceedures and Hydrogen containment. What I will never understand is, if H&S was so immportant why the hell did the powers that be allow me to work on these systemsAlso got a certificate stating I had been exposed to blue asbestos (perhaps its to warn the undertakers not to handle the body should I die or something.) Moving forward in years and I'm working on ships that contain interesting minerals, usually floating around the bilges where the float switches had just packed up. OR renovating a plywood factory in Sabah, moving old crates when a family of scorpions fall out across my arms.. how the hell I didn't sh*t myself I will never know. I survived Australia where anything with less than or more than two legs is to be treated with great suspicion, even some of the locals are questionable.. oh and the trees bite.
Still around, still alive (I think), still playing with silly toys.
Bacons bad for you,butter's bad for you, salt yada yada yaaa. Don't drink alcohol (I don't, I drink beer, shorts and Long Island Iced Teas - I use alcohol to remove stains.)
If this sounds like a rant against H&S and those in the know well maybe but give me butter over synthetics anytime and most H&S is just common sense i.e. don't climb masts or ladders etc. if your alcohol count is over 8 pints (or six if its Guiness).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I survived Australia where anything with less than or more than two legs is to be treated with great suspicion, even some of the locals are questionable.. oh and the trees bite.
Still around, still alive (I think), still playing with silly toys.
:gig

Awesome rant. :clap

Three people at Thanksgiving dinner a couple days ago were/are in manufacturing, two of them machine operators before CNC machines. They talked machines for over an hour. I suspect you would have fit in nicely, especially with the assortment of beer, wine and liquor available. :D

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Over the last 2 weeks there have been MASSIVE fires in California. I'm about 60+ miles away from them, but the smoke was still filling the air... to the point where schools were closed and people were told not to spend time outside. Air quality for all the SF Bay Area was often marked as "Very Unhealthy".

My daughters commented on how funny it was to see people walking around with masks on... but then moving them to the side to smoke their cigarettes.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
My daughters commented on how funny it was to see people walking around with masks on... but then moving them to the side to smoke their cigarettes.
I will always remember a video of a post-surgical lung resection cancer patient smoking out of his tracheostomy. It is addiction. Heroin addicts have said quitting smoking is harder than quitting heroin.

RichardM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Anet A2
Over the last 2 weeks there have been MASSIVE fires in California. I'm about 60+ miles away from them, but the smoke was still filling the air... to the point where schools were closed and people were told not to spend time outside. Air quality for all the SF Bay Area was often marked as "Very Unhealthy".

Was it the masks or just the fact that people were walking around in CA; thought it was wheels only over there.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Was it the masks or just the fact that people were walking around in CA; thought it was wheels only over there.
You still need to walk from your car to buy cigarettes. Because parking in California can be difficult to find nearby, you may need to have a smoke whilst wearing the mask on your walkabout. :weee

At least that's my story and I'm sticking with it. ;)