Have this same MG6120 model, and just got this 6c10 error. ?

nuraman00

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6120
So I can print the EEPROM page when I'm using the service tool. I've tried this 2x.

But I can't print the test page from the service tool, the printer makes some weird mechanical noise. Almost like it's looking in the wrong tray. But I did select "cassette tray" in the service tool.

And when I'm in normal user mode, if I still try to print anything, whether a test page; nozzle check pattern; or something I real that I want to print, I still get 6C10.

Now what do I do?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If the Service Manual link that @PeterBJ posted is to believed then there is nothing in Service Mode to do for your 6C10 error.

you cannot reset a mechanical or electronic error by using this button or sensor field.

"Resetting" your printer using the "Resume" button does not require Service Mode. See SOLUTION 2 in the list of possible fixes in the following link.

http://printertechies.over-blog.com/2019/05/how-to-fix-canon-printer-error-code-6c10.html

Your issue is different than OP's ink absorber counter issue and should probably have been moved to a new thread. The Moderator may keep his evening tipple but will be sent to bed without dessert tonight.
:hit

nuraman00

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6120
If the Service Manual link that @PeterBJ posted is to believed then there is nothing in Service Mode to do for your 6C10 error.

"Resetting" your printer using the "Resume" button does not require Service Mode. See SOLUTION 2 in the list of possible fixes in the following link.

http://printertechies.over-blog.com/2019/05/how-to-fix-canon-printer-error-code-6c10.html

Your issue is different than OP's ink absorber counter issue and should probably have been moved to a new thread. The Moderator may keep his evening tipple but will be sent to bed without dessert tonight.
:hit

Thank you. I will try solution 2 again.

Also, there is a reset factory settings option. Any chance that fixes it?

On another topic, what do people think of megatank or supertank printers? Are they a better option than regular ink tank printers?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
@nuraman00 It looks like you found out how to enter service mode. I guess you just pressed the Stop/Resume sensor field like it were a push button switch? See this post.

I only have cheap webcams and old point and shoot digital cameras. To make a video in this quality you need a better camera and also better skills as a photographer/camera man than I have. BTW notice that Power LEDs on Canon printers can also be white or blue instead of green, depending on model.

I don't know why, but when doing an EEPROM print from service mode you are asked which paper source to use. When doing a Test Print from service mode, you don't get this choice, You have to use the rear paper feed. So you are right about the sound, The printer tried to take a sheet of paper from the rear feed.

Do not try any other actions in the service tool than Test Print, EEPROM Print and EEPROM Save. Other functions might cause problems.

The only thing you can reset from service mode is the ink absorber counter. The service tool cannot make a mechanical or electrical error in the printer go away.

I don't know what the factory reset is. It is not in the service tool. If it is from the printer's menu it just restores some default settings.

nuraman00

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6120
If it is from the printer's menu it just restores some default settings.

Yes, it's from the printer's normal menu. Ok, so it probably won't help then if it's just some default settings.

nuraman00

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6120
@nuraman00 It looks like you found out how to enter service mode. I guess you just pressed the Stop/Resume sensor field like it were a push button switch? See this post.

I only have cheap webcams and old point and shoot digital cameras. To make a video in this quality you need a better camera and also better skills as a photographer/camera man than I have. BTW notice that Power LEDs on Canon printers can also be white or blue instead of green, depending on model.
No problem, thanks for explaining about your camera equipment.

So what I did with the stop/resume sensor field, was just hold my finger over it, even before I pressed the power button.

Then I did the steps of pressing the stop/resume 5 times, with the power button held.

It's just tricky because I thought the LED was supposed to be green, so I wasn't sure if I was doing it right. But now I know it can be blue.

Also, there isn't any other obvious indicator that it's in service mode, other than the LCD remaining blank, once the power button is let go.

Ok, so I tried reaching out to some electronics companies. Most don't say no to printers.

One says there is a free diagnosis. I asked for what the minimum repair cost could be in my case. Once I get an answer, I'll decide whether to go in or not.

So what does everyone think about supertank printers? Could those be a better option this time? Currently, I had to buy new cartridges about once a year, maybe a little more often. And I would only print about 30 - 40 pages during that time, but the ink would dry out.

But, 3rd party replacement cartridges were only $5 - 7 for an entire set, so they were cheap.

This seems like a good deal, if you think I can get 2 - 3 years before needing a refill. Do you think supertank printers, with my usage, can last a few years, before needing a refill?

https://www.costco.com/epson-ecotan...r-with-bonus-black-ink.product.100504185.html

Also, I couldn't find a regular HP inkjet printer with separate color cartridges. The HP models that are in stock, seemed to use the tri-color ones.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
From what you've written, if you want an inkjet printer then a tri-color cartridge printer is a better fit for your infrequent printing. Ink drying up may still occur but the print head is built into the cartridge and a new cartridge means end of potential print head problems as well as ink flow issues within the cartridge.

Or, consider a laser printer as they are resistant to issues from inactivity.

A tank printer is probably as bad idea since it is not immune to inactivity causing problems with the print head, AND, tank printers cost substantially more as initial investments. In fact, given what you've said, you would never break even given your printing habits.

If you want a multi-cartridge inkjet then adopt good practices to decrease your risk for ink related problems. Print something that uses all the cartridge colors every 1-2 weeks. This can be a nozzle check, which uses very little ink. If you use OEM ink you may be able to go a little longer between prints. Maybe not. Missing ink on a print will be your guide at that point.

Printers work best when used regularly.

nuraman00

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6120
From what you've written, if you want an inkjet printer then a tri-color cartridge printer is a better fit for your infrequent printing. Ink drying up may still occur but the print head is built into the cartridge and a new cartridge means end of potential print head problems as well as ink flow issues within the cartridge.

Or, consider a laser printer as they are resistant to issues from inactivity.

A tank printer is probably as bad idea since it is not immune to inactivity causing problems with the print head, AND, tank printers cost substantially more as initial investments. In fact, given what you've said, you would never break even given your printing habits.

If you want a multi-cartridge inkjet then adopt good practices to decrease your risk for ink related problems. Print something that uses all the cartridge colors every 1-2 weeks. This can be a nozzle check, which uses very little ink. If you use OEM ink you may be able to go a little longer between prints. Maybe not. Missing ink on a print will be your guide at that point.

Printers work best when used regularly.
Thank you for the advice. I will avoid tank printers, given that you said there could be problems with the print head.

I had looked into laser printers. But I couldn't find a laser all-in-one with a smaller physical size.

I had really liked the physical size of this MG6120, and I liked the way the flatbed scanner was on top.

Are there any laser printers with a design like this?

Most of the ones I saw seemed taller in height than I would really want.

Epson, HP, and Canon are my preferred brands.

I like the form factor of this, but it appears to be black printing only.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m29w-printer

Also, double sided printing is a must for me. I had it for the first time with the Canon, and I liked it.

Are there any others that you can think of? I'd consider other brands, or budge on the height/weight a little.

Otherwise, I guess ink jet it is for me. Thanks for your help.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Speaking of laser printer, that's my opinion :
I own a Brother monochrome laser printer of the mid-low range, far below the professional models. For the price is OK but I prefer the output of any inkjet printer I used in the past or present. Of course, lasers won’t clog, their ‘printheads’ won’t die and they’re usually faster than inkjets, but the quality of the prints tends to degrade with time. Reason is that the imaging drum (OEM or compatible) starts developing small faults on the surface. The background of the prints aren’t clean anymore but full of small black specs here and there, or even an overall foggy look. Higher end machines are much better in this aspect but color lasers of this category are bulky, really expensive and the cost of OEM toner cartridges is very high, if compared to inkjets.

Besides, using third party consumables on lasers is a gamble. With inkjets, if you find a brand of compatible ink or cart that suits your printer, you stick with that and you’re a happy camper, but on ‘laserland’ every non-OEM toner cart is a lottery, Even within the same brand and batch you may get one unit perfectly OK and another one totally faulty.

Latest posts