1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: 3D Metal Printing
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Gutenprint...The Poor Man's RIP

Discussion in 'Printing Photos and Photo Software' started by soberprinter, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Dec 16, 2014
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    I would also say @soberprinter don’t for all our sakes leave, your valuable posts are truly amazing sometime way over my head but still enjoyable, so keep posting.

As for @Smile well he can be a pain in the ass sometime but as @Tudor rightly says it’s not intentional on his part, he just goes about things in a different way than others, he’ll grow on you if you’ll stay.

3dogs, stratman and PeterBJ like this.
  2. Dec 16, 2014
    Smile

Smile Printer Master

Printer Model:
    Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
    Is my english that bad? I know Germans don't like to reply to english emails.
    I said the "control sample" was linux as I wanted to see if it's the version of ported gutenprint that does not work with my printer etc. As it turns out every version prints the same. My intentions was to print from windows not linux.

So I posted my results on this thread, to share an receive suggestions for fixing my problems. You seems to be knowledgeable guy, and instead of saying "trying to hijack this thread from the beginning, and I am growing dull from your attitude."
    you should try to help if you started thread about gutenprint?

Gutenprint, Wutenprint are just two different ports of software for windows, my test shows that they print the same (at least on my printer) so why say they are entirely different.

As I understand me and others would post their progress in this thread, not start their own. If you thought so then you do not understand how forums work I suppose.

About preparing images in Photoshop, well I like free software too. Especially if it's GIMP.
    Besides the Gutenprint manual said to prepare the "color corrected images" outside the print plugin, this means if plugin works in "uncorrected mode". As such it means that images can be prepared in Photoshop (color conversions etc.), then printed with GIMP plugin, Linux etc. It makes no difference.

Well as I said I posted my results to get responses from somebody who introduved this method, that is you. But instead I get "trying to hijack this thread from the beginning, and I am growing dull from your attitude."
    Why start a thread and then refuse to help?

I guess you never answer PM I sent to you either :(
    I was hoping to get answers to perhaps a way editing xml to get my printer working as you said you had added this way your printer, but never mind.

Good bye, then.
    I had no intentions to say anything wrong, but if posting suggestions and experiences is wrong then I wonder how you thought this tread would evolve mate?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  3. Dec 16, 2014
    martin0reg

martin0reg Printer Master

In post #5 I've had a question regarding gutenprint as plugin for PSE and also gimp for windows.
    Soberprinter answered on PSE and said, he would not cover anything else than the photoshop plugin.
    Totally agreed!
    But there may be more questions I would like to ask regarding gutenprint-gimp ... certainly not intending to hijack the thread, only to learn from users with similar installation.
    Yes, this will disrupt the lesson...but off-topic questions can not be avoided only be ignored...

3dogs and The Hat like this.
  4. Dec 16, 2014
    Smile

Smile Printer Master

Printer Model:
    Well, off-topic questions can be answered by PM, either by user asking by sending PM themselves, or the OP replying to user via PM. There is no need to ignore anyone.

I guess one can start a blog if they want to control all information, by providing it in one view only fashion. Turning comments off is also recommended for such scenario.

5. Dec 16, 2014
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    I for one am guilty of poking my nose into posts where I have no input to the conversation whatsoever.

But I do that because I see or find some of the great comments amusing and so try to post an amusing response, is it wrong of me to lighten some guys’ day with a laugh.. :weee

It’s got to be remembered that not only Members can see every post, the lurkers are just as important..

Smile and 3dogs like this.
  6. Dec 16, 2014
    Smile

Smile Printer Master

Printer Model:
    This is exactly what makes this forum unique and a true home for all of us. I haven't found anything like it, where you can post your ideas, suggestions, experiences etc. and not to be banned by some wannabe moderator. This makes a community.

The Hat likes this.
  7. Dec 16, 2014
    Smile

Smile Printer Master

Printer Model:
    I just found out that my ink density problem where patches outlined in red were printed because the gutenprint driver is half baked at least for my printer.

If I select any photo paper like "photo paper pro" etc. then prints are all wrong, but if I leave it at "Plain paper" the density prints like it should.

However the resolution is only half what I should get, printer prints 2x faster also. Few bad nozzles in black causes streaks that are clearly visible.

Now I tried to investigate the xml files but I don't see anything I can change to make this work. I mean print in high res mode :(

The newest PrintFAB 0.95 fol example does not print ink limit test chart at all too (windows spooler just hangs), tried on WinXP, Win7 :( No responsed from manufacturer ZEDONET about liniarization charts (they did give me this feature in older version for testing, but after version expired so did communications with ZEDONET)

8. Dec 19, 2014
    Smile

Smile Printer Master

Printer Model:
    Well ZEDONET replied to my email, about the bug on the 0.95 version (they fix it ASAP). And also said that in two weeks they:

So I suggest contacting them by their contact form and letting them know you are interested in linearization feature too. The more inquiries the better.
    http://zedonet.com/en_contact_form.phtml

9. Dec 20, 2014
    RogerB

RogerB Print Addict

Printer Model:
    Epson Pro3880
    I guess the hijack of this thread is now complete.

Łukasz, Emulator and The Hat like this.
  10. Dec 20, 2014
    Emulator

Emulator Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon Pro9000 II
    The only solutions to this problem are pre-draft the whole paper and post in one post, or use the first post and edit this, while ignoring the trail of posts. Sad situation, but Have a Merry Christmas.

Łukasz and The Hat like this.