Gutenprint...The Poor Man's RIP

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I would also say @soberprinter don’t for all our sakes leave, your valuable posts are truly amazing sometime way over my head but still enjoyable, so keep posting.

As for @Smile well he can be a pain in the ass sometime but as @Tudor rightly says it’s not intentional on his part, he just goes about things in a different way than others, he’ll grow on you if you’ll stay.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I really believe you need to start a new thread Mr. Smile, or ask these type of particular questions on a Linux forum dedicated to Gutenprint. First we are talking about printing in Windows not Linux, Photoshop not whatever image software you are using and we are using WinGP not the wutenprint and gutenprint combo. There are some major differences here.

Is my english that bad? I know Germans don't like to reply to english emails.
I said the "control sample" was linux as I wanted to see if it's the version of ported gutenprint that does not work with my printer etc. As it turns out every version prints the same. My intentions was to print from windows not linux.

So I posted my results on this thread, to share an receive suggestions for fixing my problems. You seems to be knowledgeable guy, and instead of saying "trying to hijack this thread from the beginning, and I am growing dull from your attitude."
you should try to help if you started thread about gutenprint?

Gutenprint, Wutenprint are just two different ports of software for windows, my test shows that they print the same (at least on my printer) so why say they are entirely different.

As I understand me and others would post their progress in this thread, not start their own. If you thought so then you do not understand how forums work I suppose.

About preparing images in Photoshop, well I like free software too. Especially if it's GIMP.
Besides the Gutenprint manual said to prepare the "color corrected images" outside the print plugin, this means if plugin works in "uncorrected mode". As such it means that images can be prepared in Photoshop (color conversions etc.), then printed with GIMP plugin, Linux etc. It makes no difference.

I wanted to share the basics of using an alternative printing method that allows one to take control of the printer. Sure they may be some pitfalls along the way but that's how we learn and grow. When one gets unexpected results from experimenting, you need to to go back and review the process, not just say you did everything you were told to do, and I followed your instructions to the letter and then throw up your hands and say it wasn't what I did.

Well as I said I posted my results to get responses from somebody who introduved this method, that is you. But instead I get "trying to hijack this thread from the beginning, and I am growing dull from your attitude."
Why start a thread and then refuse to help?

This started out as a fun project, sharing what I knew about the topic. You have, in a very short time, corrupted that. You appear to be a forum "bully". You win Mr. Smile. I'm outta here. Good bye Printer Knowledge

I guess you never answer PM I sent to you either :(
I was hoping to get answers to perhaps a way editing xml to get my printer working as you said you had added this way your printer, but never mind.

Good bye, then.
I had no intentions to say anything wrong, but if posting suggestions and experiences is wrong then I wonder how you thought this tread would evolve mate?

Last edited:

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
In post #5 I've had a question regarding gutenprint as plugin for PSE and also gimp for windows.
Soberprinter answered on PSE and said, he would not cover anything else than the photoshop plugin.
Totally agreed!
But there may be more questions I would like to ask regarding gutenprint-gimp ... certainly not intending to hijack the thread, only to learn from users with similar installation.
Yes, this will disrupt the lesson...but off-topic questions can not be avoided only be ignored...

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, this will disrupt the lesson...but off-topic questions can not be avoided only be ignored...

Well, off-topic questions can be answered by PM, either by user asking by sending PM themselves, or the OP replying to user via PM. There is no need to ignore anyone.

I guess one can start a blog if they want to control all information, by providing it in one view only fashion. Turning comments off is also recommended for such scenario.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I for one am guilty of poking my nose into posts where I have no input to the conversation whatsoever.

But I do that because I see or find some of the great comments amusing and so try to post an amusing response, is it wrong of me to lighten some guys’ day with a laugh.. :weee

It’s got to be remembered that not only Members can see every post, the lurkers are just as important..

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I for one am guilty of poking my nose into posts where I have no input to the conversation whatsoever.

But I do that because I see or find some of the great comments amusing and so try to post an amusing response, is it wrong of me to lighten some guys’ day with a laugh.. :weee

It’s got to be remembered that not only Members can see every post, the lurkers are just as important..

This is exactly what makes this forum unique and a true home for all of us. I haven't found anything like it, where you can post your ideas, suggestions, experiences etc. and not to be banned by some wannabe moderator. This makes a community.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I just found out that my ink density problem where patches outlined in red were printed because the gutenprint driver is half baked at least for my printer.

If I select any photo paper like "photo paper pro" etc. then prints are all wrong, but if I leave it at "Plain paper" the density prints like it should.

However the resolution is only half what I should get, printer prints 2x faster also. Few bad nozzles in black causes streaks that are clearly visible.

Now I tried to investigate the xml files but I don't see anything I can change to make this work. I mean print in high res mode :(

The newest PrintFAB 0.95 fol example does not print ink limit test chart at all too (windows spooler just hangs), tried on WinXP, Win7 :( No responsed from manufacturer ZEDONET about liniarization charts (they did give me this feature in older version for testing, but after version expired so did communications with ZEDONET)

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well ZEDONET replied to my email, about the bug on the 0.95 version (they fix it ASAP). And also said that in two weeks they:

I am sorry that your emails have not been answered earlier. I put the answer "on hold" until I could tell you when and in which way we will add a linearization feature PrintFab - I expected to have an answer within one or two weeks.

So I suggest contacting them by their contact form and letting them know you are interested in linearization feature too. The more inquiries the better.
http://zedonet.com/en_contact_form.phtml

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
The only solutions to this problem are pre-draft the whole paper and post in one post, or use the first post and edit this, while ignoring the trail of posts. Sad situation, but Have a Merry Christmas.

Latest posts