Gloss Optimizer for Beginners

Flying Scotsman

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8750
Hi

Could someone please explain in simple terms how this product works.
Do i just print my image then replace the black ink with the Gloss Optimizer and when reprinted it is just the GO that is used. I was planning to use it with my Epson DX and Canon IP 8750.

Sorry for being so stupid but i am just setting out on this refill adventure. :barnie

Thanks

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
a Gloss opt. would only make sense if you print with pigment inks which the IP8750 does not to my knowledge. You would need a dedicated clean cartridge for the black ink channel for the DX printer and do the GO overprint in a separate print pass printing 'black' with the matte paper grayscale driver setting.
The Epson GO most likely won't print in a Canon anyway.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There are two ways to use the GO overprint, one is to fill the PGBK cartridge only, and the other is to fill all the cartridges with GO, in which ever printer you are intending to use. (Use a spare PGBK cart)

Using just one cartridge...

You can start by printing your photos just like normal and then set them aside to dry, depending on which ink you use that can take ½ hour to overnight, but as this is your first try then ½ hour is adequate. (Print 4 photos the same for test)

The next thing you need is an overlay the same size as the printed image of your photo or the full size of your Media, you can use whichever Photo App. you like.

Untitled-1.jpg

This overlay should be of a black tint, not solid, when using one cartridge, you can vary the tint strength from 30% to 80%, the darker the tint the heavier the GO overlay will be, but lighter is best. (Set 50% to begin, it should be dry to touch on exit)

You can start by printing any image on Media set to plain paper in greyscale only till all the remaining black ink has been removed from the print head, i.e. no image is visible on the printed sheets, it can take 6 to 10 sheets before all the ink is gone.

Now try doing the same with your photo, set the Media to plain paper and your print quality to medium, this will give you a good start and then you can vary the tint strength or print quality to get the desired effects you’re looking for.

Please note: - Only use greyscale and plain paper setting regardless of the surface type of your photos, good luck with your GO project...

Late Edit:- http://www.octoink.co.uk/ has both types of Gloss optimizer

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550