GI-53 Inks with Pixma IP8750 - Is it Possible?

EpicRuin

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IP8750
Hi everyone,

As a new member here, I wanted to start by saying hello to this knowledgeable community. I've been browsing through various threads looking for some advice related to printer inks and cartridges, but I couldn't quite find the answer I needed, so I thought I'd make a post.

My main question is about the compatibility of Canon GI-53 (and PGBK GI-56) range of inks with the Canon ip8750 printer. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried this combination or knows whether these inks are suitable for the ip8750.
Further, am I correct in my assumption that if I was to go down this route, I would need a chip resetting device and empty cleaned OEM XL 551 carts? (in the same way I would if i swapped to an aftermarket ink?)
the main reason I want to do this is the significant cost savings, whilst maintaining similar quality.

Any guidance or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Thanks in advance for your help!
Yes the Canon inks would work, but as you say you’ll need a resetter for your OEM cartridges..

You can use compatible aftermarket cartridges which come with its own chip, but after using these carts for a while, (Especially the black) your print head will start showing signs of problems (Double image)..
Most of the Canon newer printer are designed not to work well with compatible inks..

But on the plus side you can always disable your ink monitoring and save on a resetter, but regular checking is needed to be sure you don’t run low on ink in the carts, Canon cartridges don’t work well if they are allowed to run out of ink.. (Top up regularly)

EpicRuin

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IP8750
Yes the Canon inks would work, but as you say you’ll need a resetter for your OEM cartridges..

You can use compatible aftermarket cartridges which come with its own chip, but after using these carts for a while, (Especially the black) your print head will start showing signs of problems (Double image)..
Most of the Canon newer printer are designed not to work well with compatible inks..

But on the plus side you can always disable your ink monitoring and save on a resetter, but regular checking is needed to be sure you don’t run low on ink in the carts, Canon cartridges don’t work well if they are allowed to run out of ink.. (Top up regularly)
Thanks a bunch for the info!, and the heads-up on aftermarket cartridges. I'm going to give it a go with the Canon inks and see how it pans out.

I'll drop a line here once I've tried it all out – fingers crossed! Appreciate the help.

Cheers!