German "Durchstich" refill method for the PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges

cmonkey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
When I refill with the tank in the print head, I pull the screw out, fill with the syringe, and stuff the screw back in.
takes all of about 3-4 seconds.

In those few seconds, the sponge is trying to soak up ink so none of it flushes through.

If I'm going to be printing a large run, I'll pull the tank, rubberband the orange tab to the tank and refill.

The nice thing about using a screw, is that it actually expands the nylon ball a bit so it's a very tight fit, so no leaks.

I"ll see if I can find my old PDF writeup with pics.

I did this for a number of years with the BCI-6 tanks on my BJC8200, and then used the same tanks for 5 years on my trusty i960.

And I'm doing it now for my new 9000MarkII.

Dave

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Don't you have to unscrew the screw, not just pull it out? And don't you have to screw it back in, not just stuff it back in?

Do you have details on the size hole you drilled and the size of the screw?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Most people do not not that squeezing the side wall of the sponge to milk out 5 drops of ink is necessary to obtain the right saturation degree. Using the top refill method will inevitably oversaturate the sponge if you are not quick enough and the oversaturated sponge will cause printing problems, strangely enough by causing banding and some will think this is cause by lack of ink, but it is actually caused by to much ink !!! Most people are just happy nothing is dripping from the ink outlet at all, but this is just a false relief.

The German Durchstich refill method will automatically balance the optimal saturation degree inside the sponge and milking the cartridge is not necessary.

cmonkey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'll start a new post with pics on how I use a screw IN the nylon ball, and it's without drilling a hole.

Dave

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
cmonkey,

the screw in the nylon ball method is known to many of us and was already depicted several years ago completely with pictures. Just search on this forum and you will find it was posted several years ago already. Some use a heated screw to pull out this nylon ball, but at the end you will stil lhave a hole above the ink compartment and it is still estethically not very nice compared to the German Durchstich refill method.

cmonkey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
whoops,.... almost finished with putting together a new post.... then came back here to check something...

I'll do a search, and see if there's anything different than what I've come up with.

The method that I'm posting is one I developed the day I got my first first refill kit for my old S800.
I did not want to use a drill to stick another hole in my tank and then have to plug it up.

I thought about the screw heating method, but opted for the pushpin method I described.

I also like the option of topping off my tanks while they're still in the printer; less chance of dust settling in the print head area.

Some day I might try the German method, maybe with MP730....

Dave

paulcroft

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Hi Pharmacist

I am new to refilling. Like others before me I have finally decided to stop paying exorbitant money for OEM inks. I have a Canon i9100. Having spent much time today checking how refilling is done, your system seems by far the cleanest and easiest.

I only have two questions. Firstly, does the hole you drill in the case need sealing? You make no mention of it. If not, why not? Secondly, if HobbiColor inks are good enough for you then they are good enough for me - but is there a supplier in the UK or do I simply order them from the US?

Many thanks

Paul Croft