Generic ink cartridge vs. manufacture

ljCharlie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have an Epson Stylus Photo R800 printer. Has anyone tried using generic brand of ink cartridge with this particular brand and mode printer? Any difference in the quality vs. manufacture ink cartridge from Epson?

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
for me, generic inks is not recommended. each type of ink of a particular cartridge of a particular brand have different formulation, and a generic or universal ink will give you awful results.
try a brand of ink that is specially formulated for your type of printer.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
BlasterQ said:
for me, generic inks is not recommended. each type of ink of a particular cartridge of a particular brand have different formulation, and a generic or universal ink will give you awful results.
try a brand of ink that is specially formulated for your type of printer.
I suspect he means a 3rd party ink provider, rather than a "cheap" chinese version or similar.

For what it's worth I'm not an R800 owner but MIS Associates have pretty good inks for my C84/86/88 and R200/300/320 printers.. not to mention my Canon MP750... No problems at all and they work great :D

Oh and the inks are formulated for specific printer types.. none of the universal gunk..

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
If it damages the printers, then this forum will not be so popular. :)
Cheapo 3rd party inks can damage your printer, as well as using a 3rd party ink not specifically formulated to match your type of printer.
Check out the forum and see which most of us use, you can't go wrong.
For me, I have been using alotofthings 3rd party inks for my canon and I still have to experience heavy clogging.
Of course, clogging can be caused by many factors, not just the ink. Even the OEM inks clog too.
Most members here use alotofthings, MIS, inkgrabber, etc. Try those.
Good luck and have fun refilling.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I don't think chinese inks are all that bad.

They have the liberty to copy patents as they see fit and they can create ink that may be even more reliable to what is being offered in countries with strict patent laws.

I've bee using Jetyoung ink (btw, Jetyoung has stopped replying to my recent purchase inquiries -- probably because they've read my reviews of their spongeless cartridges) and I must say this is a great ink. In fact, this is the only ink that performs the same way Canon ink does on HP paper.

I wouldn't be suprised if Jetyoung had blatantly copied Canon.

ljCharlie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Again, thank you for your responses. But how do I find out the most popular or common third party ink manufacture that most members in here use? How do I know that an ink cartridge is made specifially for one particular mode and brand? Are the list I provided above indicate that those inks are made specifically for a brand and model of printer?

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Some of us here have developed a kind of loyalty to the 3rd party inks we are using if we are pretty satisfied with it.
I haven't tried other brands, and I am extremely loyal to alotofthings, as long as I am satisfied with their inks.
So, with great emphasis that I AM NOT PROMOTING their brands (I have no reason to, I'm in the Philippines), try going to their website at: www.alotofthings.com
You will see that they have inks specifically designed to match any type of ink your printer has.
So if it says Canon BCI-6 compatible, then it is for the BCI-6 only.

ljCharlie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll give that site a look.

doggman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a Canon i860 and have been using Carrot Ink in this printer for approximately 9 months. The printer is slightly over a year old. Recently my print quality has crashed. I believe that the problem is that the printer head is partially clogged though I do not know for sure. I have been though various cleaning techniques that are referenced on this forum and still have problems and am in the process of deciding on the following:

1. I have decided that the i860 is a good printer and it is worth trying to revive it.
2. Do I just get a new print head or should I have Diversified Microsystems, a Manchester, NH Canon service company, give it a tuneup/checkout for $40.
3. Once the printer is fixed do I continue to use the Carrot Ink? Is there a better 3rd party provider? Do I go with the OEM ink...is it really any better??? Is it possible that I was not using the printer on a regular enough basis and that is where I went wrong...not the ink??

doggman