Gamutvision etc.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
the first and important aim of profiling is the standardization of color output across different devices/printers/displays, media/papers, inks , driver settings, viewing conditions and more, and the first step is measuring the situation before that step, and then appying corrections to acheive that goal. You are inherently confronted with limitaions in that process - the contrast range of the paper, ink and saturation limits etc, so lots of users are trying to 'optimize' that process for which you need some tools to identify possible 'weak' areas. There was another thread a few months ago discussing the intention to use a profile to tune print output to a particular look, that goes beyond and against the job of profiling to standardize color output in my opinion. There are different levels of engagement with profiling - you use OEM inks and papers and the profiles of your printer manfucturer , you can get profiles via a 3rd party provider for your own paper/ink combinations, you use their profiles as is, you get a profiling package for yourself and do it for yourself, you experiment and test some other papers, other inks, software settings and compare, you look into more detail to the print results, and you want to know more, then you go for Gamutvision etc. It all depends how much interest and time you have for that subject, or you rather go off and take more pictures or spend your time (and money) for something totally different. That's like always with a hobby - you define the level of your engagement with that subject.

Very comprehensive profile of the behaviour of a printerholic..........it almost follows the progress of the disease from the purchase of a camera its final paranoia.......repeat eposodes of compulsive checking for variations abnormalities inside and outside a wire cage that does not really exist in the physical dimention......

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
well - I don't know whether there is a treatment yet for a printerholic addiction, maybe taking some pills every day - 1 Cyan in the morning , 1 Magenta at lunch and a yellow one in the evening.......or removing every printer from your premises for 4 weeks and all inks and cartridges with it - it may be the smell of the solvent causing the seduction ......

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The Printerholic syndrome is not some sort of disease that can be picked up anywhere easily but it’s more a condition of near self induced contentment. :fl

Every Printerholic is trying to rest in paradise if he has not already gotten there and anything you do or say gives him even more pleasure, like a new experiment or test printing or greater profiling abilities.:D
I mean this is it if it ever exists, I reckon it does.:clap

Over the hill and in the next valley lies…
upload_2015-6-7_11-2-40.png

The only thing I see missing is the fridge, the microwave and the empty pizza boxes… :gig:lol:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
ooh, I can't recognize whether the image is in the ProPhotoRGB color space or plain sRGB...?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
The GV is nice tool to have for advanced analysis, however it seems the synthetic and real world test can sometimes be very different. I find it more reliable to print and measure a target then to trust entirely on synthetic tests. The GV has logarithmic scale and it's divisions can't be adjusted fine enough for me so sometimes it's pain to use.

One of my clients has a problem that he got weird artifacts in gradations of his own profiles made with 15000$ software called Copra. The GV did not show any problems! The 3D HL color difference plots showed no problems. It ended as sofware bug starting from v2.5 and not fixed. The Copra does not recognize this a bug, yet profiles made with old version vs. New from same measured file shows this clearly. Data was sent to them but neither I nor client got any replies.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
The GV is nice tool to have for advanced analysis, however it seems the synthetic and real world test can sometimes be very different. I find it more reliable to print and measure a target then to trust entirely on synthetic tests. The GV has logarithmic scale and it's divisions can't be adjusted fine enough for me so sometimes it's pain to use.

One of my clients has a problem that he got weird artifacts in gradations of his own profiles made with 15000$ software called Copra. The GV did not show any problems! The 3D HL color difference plots showed no problems. It ended as sofware bug starting from v2.5 and not fixed. The Copra does not recognize this a bug, yet profiles made with old version vs. New from same measured file shows this clearly. Data was sent to them but neither I nor client got any replies.

Couldn't agree more. I regret the money I spent on the GV license, but then again it is better than nothing when trying to make some comparisons.

I have tried to get information from them, and have come to the conclusion that their tech support sucks.

Colorthink by Chromix is by far the better product, but then again about three times the price.

As they say - you get what you pay for.

rs

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,